Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Retail Therapy

Hi, my name is Billy.

NATHAN: So you haven't told him?

Nathan and I were doing some shopping.

ME: I thought Ritchie would, but then he blacked out right there on the kitchen floor.
NATHAN: And Jackson?
ME: He took off. I haven't seen him all week.

It's been seven long days since my altercation with Jackson, and I still feel really shaken up.

NATHAN: Billy, you have to tell Jeremy what happened.
ME: I can't! Who knows how he'll take it?
NATHAN: You were assaulted!
ME: Jackson will come up with some lie about me wanting it to happen.
NATHAN: That's ridiculous.
ME: Still, I want a break from the drama for a little bit. I'll tell Jeremy, just not right now.

That's when I noticed the guy behind the counter at the store staring at me.

Normally, I'd find it creepy, but he was a little...cute.

NATHAN: ...And they took him away.
ME: Huh?
NATHAN: Jeff.
ME: Jeff who?
NATHAN: The kid at my school. I was talking about my new school.
ME: Oh right, sorry.
NATHAN: Look, this whole thing with Jackson clearly has you distracted and--
VOICE: Excuse me?

We turned around to see the behind-the-counter guy walking towards us--actually, more like walking towards me.

COUNTER GUY: Are you looking to fill out an application?
NATHAN: Oh, no thanks.
ME: Um, I might be interested...in that.
COUNTER GUY: Great. I'm Kurt. I'm the store manager.
ME: Nice to meet you, Kurt.
COUNTER GUY/KURT: I'll go get an app from the back.

He disappeared. Nathan gave me a look.

ME: What?
NATHAN: You were smiling a little too much at that guy.
ME: Nooo, I was just thinking that maybe if I flirt a little and fill out an application, I can get a discount.
NATHAN: Ohhh, good thinking.

Nathan went to look at another sales rack, but while he was gone, Kurt popped back up with an application, and we got to talking...

You know, I could use a new job.

No comments: