Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Call Me Florence Nightingale

Hi, my name is Jeremy.

JACKSON: I thought I asked for pudding.
ME: I thought I asked for my sibling to die in the womb.
JACKSON: Really funny, Jeremy--all things considered.

I know, I shouldn't make jokes seeing as how I almost lost my brother.

But he's been milking that near-death experience for a month now.

After the club explosion, Jackson spent a week in the hospital. Then I had him move back into the apartment with me and--

PAIGE: WHO WANTS PUDDING?

--Hey, somebody has to supply the snacks.

JACKSON: Paige, every time you yell using that voice, I think I can feel my stitches coming undone.
PAIGE: Just so you know, sassy bitches don't get pudding.
ME: Oooh, a new Facebook status.
VOICE: Knock, knock.

It's Ben. I have to hand it to him. He stayed with me and Jackson every day in the hospital, and now he's been coming by every day to check on us.

Although, there is an unfortunate side to all this help--

BEN: How's my boy doing?

He fell in love with Jackson.

Just watching them kiss is...weird.

JACKSON: Miss me?
BEN: Like crazy.
ME: You know, if he moved in with you, you wouldn't have to miss him so much--
JACKSON: Nice try.
PAIGE: Ben, do you want to stay for dinner?
ME: Maybe I'd like a nice, quiet dinner.
VOICE: Kids! It's Mom!
ME: Well, there goes that.

Twenty minutes later, we were all sitting around the table.

JOAN: ...And to think I could have lost my child.
JACKSON: It's okay, Mom. I'm recovering just fine.
JOAN: Were you hurt too? I thought only Jeremy was injured?
JACKSON: He had two scratches and a bruised forehead!
JOAN: YOU HURT YOUR FOREHEAD?

God, I need a vacation.

Knock, knock.

ADAM: Hey, are you guys coming?
ME: Oh my God, I forgot all about the memorial service.
JACKSON: I can't believe it's been a month.
PAIGE: I don't know if I can go. I'll cry.
ME: Paige, we have to go. C'mon, get dressed.
BEN: Yeah, it's for Carter. He would have wanted us there.

I still can't believe he's gone.

Poor Carter.

No comments: