Monday, January 2, 2012

The Writer

Hi, my name is Jeremy.

Jeremy, it's Kate. You're still my favorite client, but if you keep dodging my phone calls, I'm going to start getting snippy. Hahaha no, but really, Jeremy, please call me. We're wondering how the first draft is coming of the new book so we can--

Beep.

I'm not that great at returning phone calls.

Not anymore.

Knock, knock.

Although, I do still love a good party.

EDWARD: We brought salad.
EDSON: And several jazz CD's.
EDWARD: Get ready for the best gay dinner party ever.

Albeit a more subdued party.

EDWARD: How's the book coming?
EDSON: Edward--
EDWARD: What? He said he was almost finished two months ago.
EDSON: He doesn't like talking about work.
ME: It's okay, really. It's...coming along. I just want to make sure I nail the ending.
EDWARD: Well, what's the problem?
ME: I just feel sort of stuck at this particular plot point. I've added too many characters. Overall, I'm just not interested. I've kind of backed myself into a creative corner.
EDSON: Why don't you skip ahead a few years? That usually helps get writers out of a rut.
ME: Edson, that's what cheap television writers do when they want to cheat their way out of their own bad planning.
EDWARD: Yes, but as long as they use the device effectively, nobody seems to care.
ME: I care. I'll work this out.

Rule Number One of throwing a good party?

...Breaking news out of Rhode Island...

Turn off the television.

...A gunman is holding an entire bar full of people hostage at a local club called Prisms.

I was up and out of my chair so fast it fell over.

EDSON: Jeremy, are you all right?
ME: Sorry I just--

--Haven't heard that name in five years.

ME: --I think they said a shooting at a gay club.
EDGAR: Really? Is that what Prisms is?
EDSON: I went to Providence. The entire city is only about eight blocks and a hot dog stand.

Typical New Yorkers.

...We know for sure that one of the hostages is the owner of the club...

EDGAR: Jeremy, turn that off. It's depressing.
EDSON: Edgar, it's news.
EDGAR: It's happening in Rhode Island. It's hardly news.

The owner of the club?

JEREMY: Jackson.
EDGAR: What was that, Jeremy?
EDSON: Are you okay?
JEREMY: My brother owns that club.

Just when I think I'm out...

The situation here is dire. The gay community in Providence is very small and we're lead to believe many of its notable members may be at the club tonight.

...They pull me back in.

No comments: