Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Leave the Maid a Good Tip

Hi, my name is Nathan.

ME: This better be good.
RICHARD: 'Good' isn't the word I'd use.

Once we got back downtown, I managed to sneak away from Ben and the CBQ's using the excuse that I needed to go by a drink to steady my nerves.

In reality, I needed to check up on business.

Richard is my partner, and as far as Ben knows, he and I run an event consulting firm.

Nobody has any idea what an event consultant would do, including me, so it works out perfectly.

My real job isn't something Ben would be thrilled with, so I keep it under wraps.

I met Richard at the Westin, and we went up to our usual room.

RICHARD: He must have come back and broken in after our latest conversation.
ME: I told you never to meet with anyone in the room.
RICHARD: It seemed harmless.
ME: Or maybe you wanted to test out his skills.
RICHARD: Don't insult me, Nathan.
ME: All I know is that some crazy person somehow managed to get hired by my company, and now he's holding every gay person in Providence hostage. If somebody starts connecting the dots, we're both screwed.
RICHARD: Well then we need to make sure nobody does.

The room was a disaster. The bed was flipped over, drawers were ransacked, and there was blood in more than a few places.

ME: I wonder if the blood was his.
RICHARD: We can only hope.
ME: What's missing?
RICHARD: Some cash, some liquor from the mini-bar--

That's when it hit me.

ME: Not the--
RICHARD: --and the book.

The Book.

ME: He has it?
RICHARD: He must. It's gone.
ME: We have to get it back.
RICHARD: Then I guess it's a good thing he's requesting your presence.

Richard handed me his gun.

RICHARD: I doubt anybody would blame you if our delinquent employee wound up with a bullet in his head, wouldn't you say? You'd probably even look like a hero.

That may be true.

But the bigger question is--

Would he be the only one I'd have to shoot?

No comments: