Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Broadway Star

Hi, my name is--

VOICES: ADAM! OVER HERE! OVER HERE!

Well, you know my name.

VOICES: We love you!

And this is my favorite part of the day.

Exiting out of the stage door of a Broadway theater to hear over a hundred people screaming my name.

If I could, I would have this happen when I wake up in the morning.

Maybe I should just get a better apartment.

Once I get in the car that's waiting for me, my assistant, Tony, hands me a contract to look over.

ME: No, I am NOT doing sixteen weeks as Richard III. I hate Shakespeare.
TONY: It's Richard III: The Musical and you'd be playing Richard.
ME: Aren't I a little young for that?
TONY: They're casting you based on height.
ME: Ugh, fine. I'll do it. Just make sure there's no tap-dancing. I don't want to play a tap-dancing hunchback...again.

Ring, ring.

ME: Get that for me. Tell whoever it is that I'm recharging my creative juices.

Tony answered the phone, said what I told him to, and then handed it back to me.

TONY: It's Jeremy. He says he'll squeeze the juice out of you himself if you don't talk to him right now.

I grabbed the phone.

ME: Hello?
JEREMY: Tell your driver to get on the highway and head towards Providence.
ME: Are you insane? I have a two-show day tomorrow. And I have no interest in revisiting our stomping grounds from five years ago.
JEREMY: Adam, there's a shooter at Prisms--
ME: I bet there is.
JEREMY: LISTEN TO ME! Jackson's there.
ME: Jackson?
JEREMY: Who knows who else. The Miracle Ball was tonight. So far, the only person I could get a hold of was Ben.

Ugh, all these names from the past that I never wanted to hear again.

JEREMY: We have to get there.
ME: Why? I could care less what happens to those people.
JEREMY: Adam, I didn't tell you--
ME: What?
JEREMY: Paige is bar tending at Prisms now.

I felt my breath race out of my body.

JEREMY: She could be there right now.

I rolled down the divider.

ME: Driver, we're going to Providence.

Tony looked at me like I was insane. Maybe I am. Who knows?

ME: Tony, call the producers. They're sending my understudy on tomorrow.
TONY: Are you dropping me off?
ME: Absolutely not. In fact, from now on, you're my boyfriend, not my assistant. I'm not going back to Providence single. Those bitches would eat that up.
VOICE: Hello? Are you there?

Oh damn--

ME: Jeremy, I'm on my way.
JEREMY: Great. I'll meet you downtown in front of Prisms.

Now there's something I haven't heard in a long, long time.

No comments: