Monday, January 23, 2012

Everything's Negotiable

Hi, my name is Davis.

ME: What the hell is taking so long?
KATE: I know! We should have been live ten minutes ago! The camera I sent Ritchie in with isn't giving us any feed.
ME: I'm not talking about your show. We need to get them out of there or that guy is going to start shooting.
KATE: Is the hostage negotiator here yet? I hear the police were sending in the best guy they have.
ME: I don't need a hostage negotiator. I'm great at diffusing awful situations. That's how I became mayor.
VOICE: Well, I guess I can just go home then.

When I turned around, I almost dropped my bullhorn.

PAUL: Long time, no see.
KATE: You two know each other?
PAUL: We sure do. Some parts better than others.

Leave it to me to hook up with the hostage negotiator.

ME: I, uh--
PAUL: Do you want my help?
ME: Yes, that would be, uh--
KATE: He's just a little rattled because his husband is in there.

Oh great...

PAUL: Husband, huh?
KATE: And campaign manager.
PAUL: Sounds like a busy guy. How does he manage to keep tabs on you?
KATE: Please! On this tramp? He sleeps with every guy in town. We've done at least nine shows on it. "America's Sluttiest Gay Mayor." They're great for sweeps week. Anyway, I have to go talk to my sound guy. Let me know if there are any developments.

She left me alone with Paul.

PAUL: This is what I get for not watching tv.
ME: I was also on the cover of The Advocate.
PAUL: What was the headline? Mayor Gives Syphilis to Half the City?
ME: Look, I hope this doesn't affect us working together here.
PAUL: We're not working together. I have a job to do. You stay out of my way, and I'll get your hostages and your husband out of there. Deal?
ME: Deal.

I didn't think it would sound appropriate to ask if he could leave Liam in there and let God do the rest.

Things are always a little more complicated than they seem.

No comments: