Saturday, February 27, 2010

Everybody's a Writer

Hi, my name is Ritchie.

PAIGE: Hey Ritchie!

I'm about to get a new job.

ME: Hello Wilde.

It's always a refreshing change to see that little smile fall off Paige's face.

I told her that I wanted to meet up with her in the Fishbowl in the morning to talk about a new show I plan on producing.

I didn't tell her it's called "You're F**ked, Paige: The Story of How Ritchie Became a Writer."

She went into spin mode immediately--probably something else she learned from Jackson.

PAIGE: Ritchie, what are you talking about?
ME: You've been writing the Wilde Blog since the beginning of last summer.
PAIGE: That's insane!
ME: Oh, is it?

I held up a printed copy of the Wilde Blog's latest entry--posted the night before at 2am. It was all about a hot new guy named Mike Motella sleeping his way around town.

PAIGE: It's about Mike Motella--so what?
ME: There is no Mike Motella.
PAIGE: Um...what?
ME: I called Adam last night and told him about this HOT new guy Mike Motella--the newest super slut in Providence. An hour later, a blog was posted about him. I checked with Adam this morning, and he said that after we talked, you were the only person he called to spread my misinformation too. So, unless another person is writing for Wilde and came up with the same fictitious story involving the same name, you're Wilde.
PAIGE: Hahahahaha--okay, what do you want?
ME: I wonder what your brothers would say if they knew you printed the article that almost got us killed in New Hampshire.
PAIGE: I had to do it! It was my journalistic responsibility.
ME: This from the girl who just this morning posted something with the title 'Guess Who Caught the Clap in Cabo?'

Paige looked behind her. Some freshman were walking to class. Any minute someone could walk in and I could expose her.

Ah, power--it's like my Redbull.

PAIGE: What can I do to make this go away?

I extended my hand.

ME: Shake.
PAIGE: Shake?
ME: Yes, Paige. Shake the hand of your new partner.

You know what they say--

The blog is mightier...

No comments: