Thursday, January 27, 2011

This Is Where Things Get Complicated

Hi, my name is Nathan.

JACKSON: The hospital called. Davis is going to be fine now that he's actually, you know, getting his medication.
HANK: Salt, wound, got it.
JEREMY: Hank, there's really no good way to say this, why are you still here?
HANK: Hey, you never know, I might be related to you guys too.

This exchanged happened while I was sitting at the kitchen table in Jeremy's apartment. Joan had rushed out of the hospital and taken a taxi to who knows where leaving me to deal with the fall-out.

Paige was sitting across from me.

PAIGE: So...you knew?

Ben came out of the kitchen. Sometimes I wish we were still dating. Sometimes I--

BEN: Nathan?

I looked up at him. Then I realized everybody was looking at me.

BEN: I think it's time you talked.
JEREMY: I agree.
PAIGE: Jeremy--
JEREMY: And Hank, it's actually great you're here, since Davis can't explain why he lied about being Paige's brother.
HANK: He didn't lie. Your psychopathic mother did.
JACKSON: We prefer to call her McCrazypants.

I cleared my throat.

ME: She told me.
HANK: You sure she didn't lie to you too?
ME: I...uh...I got it confirmed. From my mother.
PAIGE: Oh my God.
ME: She told me last year, when I was in the...um...
JACKSON: Cult?
ME: Yeah. That. She thought I might already know, and she wanted me to keep it a secret.
JEREMY: So you didn't know until then?
ME: No. I didn't know I had a little sister.
PAIGE: Didn't you remember? From when you were a kid?
ME: I remember my mom being said for awhile, and later my Dad said she miscarried. That was it.

Jeremy was pacing. He looked like a caged animal.

JEREMY: So did you find about this before and after you tried to kill me?
BEN: Okay, can we just--
JEREMY: Was this some sort of weird, jealously thing?
BEN: Jeremy, stop.
JEREMY: God, I need a drink.
JACKSON: That's the last thing you need.
HANK: I'll have one.
PAIGE: I want to know.

Silence.

PAIGE: I want to know why you shot him.
BEN: Jesus.
PAIGE: He's my brother. You're, apparently, sort of, my brother. I need to know. I need to know why.
ME: I didn't.

Everybody checked in with everybody to see if they actually heard what I just said.

ME: I didn't shoot Jeremy.

I could tell they believed me. The truth sounds like the truth, doesn't it?

JEREMY: Do you know who did?

I started nodding before I said--

ME: Yes.

The door to the apartment opened--

ME: The person who did just walked in.

--and there it was.

The truth.

No comments: