Friday, January 14, 2011

He Could Work

Hi, my name is Jackson.

VOICE: Hey psycho!

That could be a number of people.

I was sitting in the Fish Bowl at OSC when I heard a voice and realized I was probably getting mistaken for my brother.

BILLY: Oh sorry, I thought you were Jeremy.
ME: That's been happening a lot. I miss the days when I was the one people wanted to kill.
BILLY: He gave Ritchie a black eye.
ME: I also miss the days when I was giving Ritchie black eyes.
BILLY: This isn't funny, Jackson. He's out of control.
ME: Did I ever give Ritchie a black eye? I feel like I should have. It's hard to remember who you've assaulted...and who you've slept with.
BILLY: Clearly I'm getting nowhere with you.

Just then, one of the freshman approached Billy.

FRESHMAN: Hey Billy, did you still want to get lunch?
ME: And who is this?
BILLY: Jackson, this is Simon. Simon, don't ever date Jackson.
ME: Nice to meet you!
SIMON: I guess I'll head to the dining hall. Nice meeting you too, Jackson.

He took off, and I couldn't help but feel a break within myself.

With Jeremy being the new wild child, I've been trying to turn over a new leaf and be more responsible and less dramatic. The old me wouldn't have looked twice at Billy's friend, but the new me...

ME: He seems nice.
BILLY: Don't even think about it.
ME: Billy, I'm not the same person I was nine months ago. Why won't you accept that people change? God knows Jeremy has.

For a second, I thought I saw a look of pain cross Billy's face, and then he took off.

Well, like it or not, I'm going to look into taking his little friend out on a date.

I may have changed for the better, but that stubborn streak hasn't gone anywhere.

No comments: