Sunday, January 9, 2011

Billy's Old Friend

Hi, my name is Billy.

Knock, knock.

VOICE: Oh my God, it's 3am.
ME: I'll get it.
VOICE: On a Tuesday.
ME: Go back to sleep.
VOICE: I could see on a Friday--
ME: It's okay.
VOICE: --Even a Thursday.

Knock, knock.

Strangely enough, I had a feeling I knew who it was.

Word was out that a kid at OSC was asking around about me. I'd been making myself scarce since my return to Rhode Island.

I skipped Fall semester after Jeremy got shot. It was touch-and-go there for awhile, and I decided I couldn't be around if he...

So I moved to Boston for a little bit, and that's when my boyfriend and I got together.

It figures as soon as you start liking the present, the past makes a grand reappearance.

SIMON: Hey.

This is Simon.

We went to high school together, and then he took off to go to school in England.

SIMON: I'm back.

He's back.

ME: Are you still on London time?
SIMON: Huh?
ME: It's 4am.
SIMON: Don't I even get a hug?

I hugged him. It's hard to explain, but it's really difficult to be mad at Simon.

ME: Come on in.
SIMON: I'm not here to bother you. I just didn't know where else to go. I thought I was going to end up sleeping in my car tonight--
ME: What?
SIMON: And then an hour ago somebody at a bar told me you were living here. I think his name was Jackson?
ME: Yeah, that sounds about right.

That means by tomorrow, everybody is going to know I had a guy looking for me at a bar.

Let the rumors begin.

SIMON: I should probably try to find a motel I can stay at until I get everything straightened out.
ME: You're not staying with your family?
SIMON: No. I don't even want them knowing I'm back in town.
ME: Simon, that's not--
SIMON: Billy, you know they wouldn't understand what's going on with me.

He's right.

ME: Well, you can stay here.
SIMON: Really? I wouldn't be imposing?
ME: No, of course not. We've known each other since we were fourteen. You're always welcome.

I heard a throat clear.

We turned to see my boyfriend standing in the doorway of our bedroom.

ME: Right, uh, Simon--

Hopefully he'd understand that I couldn't turn away my old friend.

ME: --this is my boyfriend.

I just had to brief him on a few things once Simon was asleep.

ME: --Ritchie.

Ritchie stepped forward and shook Simon's hand.

RITCHIE: Nice to meet you.

No comments: