Monday, January 24, 2011

Let's Clear Some Things Up

Hi, my name is Jackson.

ME: That's all we need in this f**ked up little family--a pill popper.

We all just found out that Hank has been taking Davis' medication, and has been giving him vitamins instead.

HANK: That's not true! I sold out of his meds online!

Sorry, I stand corrected.

JEREMY: You could have killed him!
HANK: Organic medicine is better for you anyway.
ME: Oh really? Then why don't you try tapering off your drug addiction with some B12?
BEN: You could have killed him!
JOAN: And left a paper trail.
RECEPTIONIST: Could you all please be quiet?
JEREMY, HANK, BEN, JOAN, and ME: Shut up!

It was at this moment that Paige realized she actually had a legal right to see Davis.

Of course, she was calm and collected.

PAIGE: I NEED TO SEE MY BROTHER!

Shirley Maclaine made less of a fuss in Terms of Endearment.

NATHAN: I should probably go.
ME: You sure you don't want to stab anybody first?
JOAN: Jackson, you're not helping.
ME: But having the man who shot your son here is?
JEREMY: We're focusing on Hank right now.
HANK: But maybe we should focus on someone else.
BEN: Not a chance.
NATHAN: I'll just go.
ME: And how about this time you don't come back?
BEN: Enough!

Ben shoved me. I shoved him back. Jeremy tried to get between us, but before he could, I pushed Ben onto the coffee table, and tried getting a punch in. I could feel Nathan trying to push me off, but then I heard Jeremy yell.

JEREMY: DON'T GO ANYWHERE NEAR MY BROTHER!

I stopped and looked up. Jeremy had grabbed a pen from the Receptionist's desk, and had it up to Nathan's throat.

JEREMY: I should have done this a long time ago.
BEN: Jeremy, stop.
ME: Okay, Jeremy, relax.
JEREMY: You all want to know why I've been acting the way I have? He's why!
HANK: And now he's going to be the reason you go to prison.
JOAN: Listen to Hank, sweetheart.
ME: I'm not sure he should be listening to Hank when Hank nearly killed someone.
HANK: It was nothing personal! I just needed the drugs!
RECEPTIONIST: I'm calling the police!
PAIGE: Why are you all making this about you? This is about my brother!
NATHAN: HE'S NOT YOUR BROTHER!

Silence.

Jeremy dropped his pen down an inch.

JEREMY: What are you talking about?
JOAN: Jeremy, don't let say anything. He's a liar. He hurt you. He--
NATHAN: Paige, I'm your brother.

This time the pen hit the floor, and Mom went down with it.

NATHAN: I'm your brother.

The hits just keep on coming.

No comments: