Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Business Proposal

Hi, my name is Nathan.

BEN: Is this a joke?

I just went into the lion's den.

BEN: This had better be good.

Part of my new theater administration degree program is an internship with an independent theater for the semester.

And after trying every other theater in town, I had no choice but to go to Ben.

BEN: You're aware that half this company is run by Jeremy, right?
ME: Do you think I'd be here if I had any other choice?
BEN: He's never going to let you work here, Nathan.
ME: I was thinking maybe he wouldn't have to know.
BEN: Aren't you supposed to be trying to convince me that you're not insane?

I explained to Ben that I could do most of the marketing for the company without Jeremy even having to know about it. It would take some weight off Ben--which apparently would be welcome with Jeremy slowly unraveling--and I could complete my internship.

BEN: I can't do something like this behind Jeremy's back.
ME: Why not? You said you're done with him personally anyway.
BEN: Personally, yes. Professionally--
ME: Ben--
BEN: Did you shoot him?

It was the first time anyone ever came right out and asked me the question--aside from the police.

ME: I...

I didn't know what to say. I don't want to lie, but I can't tell the truth either.

ME: I can't say.

Ben stood up at his desk.

BEN: Well, until you can, you can't work for me. Sorry.

He gathered up his stuff and left.

I know the truth is going to come out eventually, but I'm not sure I have the bravery to be the one who announce it.

No comments: