Thursday, January 27, 2011

Skating with the Gays

Hi, my name is Joey.

ADAM: I'm going to fall.

My boyfriend is going to fall on his ass in about five seconds.

ADAM: Falling!

And he's going to bring me down with him.

ADAM: Ahhh!

Unless I don't let him.

ME: I got you.

Instead, I save us both.

Funny how that's possible.

ADAM: Aw, love you.

Until it isn't.

A group of us from the musical decided to go ice skating downtown as a sort of cast bonding experience. I was against the idea. Mainly because it meant having Adam and--

PATRICK: Smooth moves there, Adam.

--Patrick in the same place.

The freshman has been trying to get me alone ever since our lunch where I told him we couldn't hang out because I have a boyfriend and--

JONATHAN: Whoa! Sorry!

--Seems like trouble has a way of just ramming right into you nowadays.

BILLY: Easy there, kid.

Jonathan skated on ahead. Adam looked uneasy.

ADAM: Making friends with the new kids, huh Billy?
BILLY: They're nice, Adam. Don't forget. You were them last year.
ME: Where's Ritchie?

For a second I thought Billy looked, what's the word?

BILLY: He doesn't like ice skating.

Guilty.

I wonder...

BILLY: See you guys at Starbucks later.

He skated on ahead.

ADAM: That is a big pile of trouble just waiting to happen.

On the word 'trouble,' I looked across the rink at Patrick.

And I wondered again...

ME: Yeah, big trouble.

Did Billy recognize the same look on my face that he had on his?

No comments: