Monday, January 10, 2011

Ritchie's Boyfriend

Hi, my name is Ritchie.

BILLY: You are the most understanding boyfriend that ever walked the face of the earth.
ME: If you're going to compliment me, you're going to have to do better than that.

Billy and I were at the Starbucks in Wayland Square on a Sunday morning enjoying each other's company.

I've never been with anybody that I wanted to just sit and look at until now.

Who would have thought my "one" would be Billy?

Oh sure, I know what you're thinking.

I wound up with Jeremy's ex--it must be revenge. Well, you're wrong.

The fact that me being with Billy probably ticks off Jeremy is just an added bonus.

After Jeremy got shot, Billy got a job doing theater in Boston. I happened to get a job at the same theater, and we ended up really connecting. When fall rolled around, we decided it was pointless to get two separate apartments, and we've been happily living together ever since.

And neither one of us has said so much as a word to Jeremy in almost nine months.

You might think we're cruel for not checking in with someone after they've suffered a serious trauma, but I doubt Jeremy wants to hear from either of us anyway.

BILLY: Uh oh.

As if on cue--

Jeremy and Davis walked into the Starbucks. They stopped dead in their tracks when they saw us.

BILLY: We should go.
ME: No! We live around the corner from here. Davis lives on the west side. I'm not going to stop coming here. Let him go to one of the downtown Starbucks. We're staying where we are.

Davis and Jeremy seemed to be talking something over, and then they started walking towards us.

BILLY: This is not going to go well.
ME: Relax, what's Jeremy going to do? Hit me?

When Jeremy was within speaking distance, I stood up.

And that was when he hit me.

Clocked me would be the better word--right on the jaw.

Before I had time to think, Billy jumped up but Davis shoved him back down into the chair.

I looked up at Jeremy. For a second I thought I was crazy, but...he looked kind of...

...Hungover.

JEREMY: Nice to see you too, Ritchie.

Then he and Davis walked out.

No comments: