Sunday, February 12, 2012

Maybe We Should Switch to Baths

Hi, my name is Ben.

NATHAN: Remember when we used to have sex in the shower.
ME: Remember when we used to have sex?

Now we double up in the shower for necessity.

I wonder if it's a bad sign that the sight of my husband's naked body does absolutely nothing for me anymore.

Or is that normal?

NATHAN: When does Jeremy head home?
ME: I don't know. Why?
NATHAN: It'll just be nice not to have him hanging around.
ME: I don't see why you'd care.
NATHAN: Are you kidding?
ME: No.
NATHAN: Would you want your husband's ex-boyfriend hanging around?
ME: It's Rhode Island, Nathan. Everyone is everyone's ex-boyfriend. Even you liked Jeremy at one point.
NATHAN: That must have been back when I had a thing for men with no backbone.

Part of me was wondering if Nathan could sense what even I recently didn't realize:

That I still have residual feelings for Jeremy.

I decided to change the subject. Concern is always the best way to switch a person's focus.

ME: Are you okay?
NATHAN: Huh?
ME: Are you okay? I mean, you shot someone.
NATHAN: Oh...Yeah.
ME: So?
NATHAN: So?
ME: So...are you okay with that?
NATHAN: Why wouldn't I be? He's a maniac.
ME: But you--killed someone.
NATHAN: Actually Jackson killed someone. He pushed him. I just shot him.

How was he being so calm about this? My little caterer.

ME: I just want to make sure you're not, like, traumatized or anything.

Nathan laughed, then pushed me against the wall.

Water was coming down over his face, and he kept laughing--looking like some of sort of demonic river nymph.

Then he kissed me--hard.

NATHAN: I'm not as sensitive as you think, Ben.

He turned the shower off, and got out--shaking himself off like a dog.

Maybe I should have been comforted or turned on or whatever by this, but all I could think was--

Who the hell am I married to?

No comments: