Monday, February 20, 2012

Just Don't Serve Cocktail Wieners

Hi, my name is Billy.

NATHAN: So let me get this straight...

I know what you're thinking.

NATHAN: You want me to cater your wedding?

Believe me, this wasn't my idea.

Emma wants to have the best of everything for our wedding, and Nathan has a reputation for being the best caterer in the state.

EMMA: You have to do it. I won't settle for anyone else.
NATHAN: Well, I guess we could--
EMMA: Plus, you're the only gay man in town who hasn't slept with my fiance.

She laughed to try and dull the sharpness of that, but there was a hint of hysteria within the joy. She still hasn't completely gotten over finding out that I was the inspiration for one of the CBQ characters.

I guess it would be difficult to know that your soon-to-be husband was once half of the gay equivalent of Ross and Rachel.

NATHAN: Well, I'll have Richard take down your dates, and we'll give you the meal of your dreams.
EMMA: I'm so thrilled. This will be so much easier than importing the food from Boston like we were planning.
NATHAN: I'm sorry--what?
EMMA: There's this adorable little restaurant outside Boston that my family just loves, but I'm sure your food will be just as good.
NATHAN: What restaurant would that be?
EMMA: Oh, I don't want to tell you. You'd just be intimidated.

There was that laugh again.

I noticed Nathan wasn't laughing.

NATHAN: You know, food at a wedding is becoming...passe.
ME: Aren't you a caterer?
NATHAN: I have a lot of self-loathing.

Believe me, I know the feeling.

No comments: