Monday, February 27, 2012

I'm the Mary

Hi, my name is Davis.

JEREMY: You couldn't afford something ritzier than the Cheesecake Factory?
ME: I like to eat with the common people.
JEREMY: Then shouldn't we be at Uno's?
ME: Common people with taste--and money.

This was the first time Jeremy and I had been alone since he'd come back to town.

ME: I notice you keep pushing back this trip.
JEREMY: The family has agreed to do the reunion on Ritchie's show.
ME: So you're their Robert Redford?
JEREMY: You mean Al Pacino. Robert Redford wasn't in The Godfather.
ME: I thought we were talking about Risky Business.
JEREMY: In which case, what you said made even less sense.

God, I missed our witty banter.

ME: So there's no chance that this extended stay will get any longer?
JEREMY: I keep saying 'No,' and then...things come up.
ME: What kind of things?
JEREMY: Adam deciding that he likes being a local celebrity. My siblings deciding we need to repair our broken relationships--
ME: Billy getting married?
JEREMY: I'm staying far away from that.
ME: That's usually what you say right before you find yourself involved in whatever it is you're staying away from.
JEREMY: I'll move to Kenya before I tango with Straight Billy and His Beard.
ME: I hear it's lovely there this time of year.

Then he brought up the sorest of subjects.

JEREMY: I'm sorry I missed your wedding.
ME: We didn't have a wedding.
JEREMY: Why not?
ME: My inauguration was our wedding.
JEREMY: So now bouquet? No cake? No Dexy's Midnight Runner's cover band?
ME: Liam and I are both very work-oriented.
JEREMY: So you haven't had sex recently?
ME: It's been years.

I hate that he knows me so well.

JEREMY: Maybe you should do something about that.
ME: Oh, trust me, I--

Then I saw a look in his eyes that I don't think I've ever seen before--

A mischievous sort of--

VOICE: Excuse me?

I turned around to see someone holding a pen and a napkin.

RANDOM GIRL: Could I get both of your autographs?

I turned back to Jeremy.

ME: Has this been happening a lot to you lately?
JEREMY: Wait until the reunion airs. We may all have to move to New York.

And, I swear, I could feel his hand slightly graze my knee underneath the table.

No comments: