Wednesday, February 29, 2012

If Anyone Here Objects

Hi, my name is Billy.

TOM: Are you excited?

My future brother-in-law was adjusting my tie.

ME: I'm...sweating.
TOM: That's great!
ME: Yeah. How many, uh--
TOM: Not a lot. And no CBQ's. I followed your instructions to the letter.
ME: Thank you so much. I just couldn't handle any of that today.
TOM: Relax. This is going to be the happiest day of your life.

We'll see about that.

Once the wedding got started, I did manage to calm down a little bit.

Emma walked down the aisle looking beautiful.

We read our vows.
We cried.
We laughed.

Then we got to the part I was worried about.

PRIEST: If anyone here can think of any reason...

It's okay, I told myself. Who can stop this now?

Jeremy's not here.
None of the queens are.
This is going to be just--

VOICE: Stop!

Oh no.

Everyone looked to the back of the church were the objector was standing.

CHRISTOPHER: I'm in love with this person!

Tom was standing in the third row looking confused.

I warned him about the CBQ's, but I forgot to tell him about my latest convert.

Except it seems the conversion didn't take.

I started to say something to Emma, but when I looked at her, she had tears in her eyes and she was looking right at--

EMMA: Christopher!

She ran to him, and threw herself into his arms.

They kissed, and then ran out of the church.

I was shocked.

My convert had just stolen my fiance.

Somewhere in here there was irony, but at that moment, I just felt...

...Thrilled.

No comments: