Monday, February 14, 2011

What You Used to Get Away With

Hi, my name is Jackson.

BILLY: You're a dead man.

I've heard that one before.

Billy confronted me in the Fish Bowl before rehearsal.

ME: I'm guessing this is about Simon.
BILLY: I asked you to stay away from him--only him--and you couldn't even do it.
ME: Billy, we like each other. It's not like I'm just using him.
BILLY: Forgive me if I have trouble believing that.
ME: You can be as cynical as you want. What happens between Simon and I is our business.

Billy seemed to take a step back with that one.

BILLY: You're right.

Wow, I wasn't expecting that big of a step back.

BILLY: You two are together now. It's just the two of you.

Uh oh.

ME: What does that mean?
BILLY: Nothing.

He left the Fish Bowl, and went into the rehearsal hall.

Something was up.

After rehearsal, I went to see if anybody wanted to go out for some drinks.

PATRICK: Gee Jackson, we'd like to but--
JONATHAN: Taken guys aren't really our thing.
PATRICK: They tend to be a buzz kill.
VOICE: Sweetie!

I turned around to see Simon waving me over.

SIMON: I'm tired. Let's go home and eat some soup.

Oh boy...

PATRICK: You're so lucky, Jackson.
JONATHAN: Simon is so sweet.

Behind Simon, I could see Billy winking at me.

Yeah, I thought, really lucky.

No comments: