Monday, February 28, 2011

Dad

Hi, my name is Jeremy.

Knock, knock.

Since my return from New York, I've tried to keep a low profile. I didn't think it was going to be that hard what with Paige spending all her time with Nathan, Mom in the hospital, and Jackson at ACTF, but apparently I was forgetting about someone.

ME: Dad?

It's been a long time since I've seen my father, and I can't say I was thrilled.

DAD: Why haven't you been answering your phone?
ME: Why? Have you been calling?
DAD: Today I have.
ME: Funny, Mom being in the hospital didn't illicit any responses.
DAD: Your mother isn't my responsibility anymore, but you kids still are. Now that she's not well--
ME: Not well? Dad she's in a coma.
DAD: Never mind this. Why weren't you answering your phone?
ME: I was trying to take a nap. It's been a long weekend.
DAD: Do you even know what's going on?
ME: What are you talking about?

My father walked over to the television, hit a button the remote, and said--

DAD: That.

The screen showed helicopters flying over a bridge.

ME: Is the bridge going to fall down or something?
DAD: Listen.

The announcer's voice came on--

ANNOUNCER: We still have little information about the passengers on the bus, but we have confirmed that they were all from Ocean State College headed to the American College--
ME: --Theater Festival.
DAD: Wasn't your brother going to that?

I ran to my phone, and turned it on. Right away, it started ringing.

ME: Paige? What's going on?

I could tell she was crying.

PAIGE: He was on the bus.
ME: Who?
PAIGE: Jackson!
ME: Oh my--
PAIGE: And Billy! And Hank! Everybody! They were all on that bus!

I turned around to see my Dad standing in the doorway of my bedroom. For the first time in I don't know how long, I hugged him.

DAD: It's okay, kid.

I felt like I was going to black out.

DAD: Your Dad's here now.

No comments: