Monday, February 28, 2011

A Concerned Husband

Hi, my name is Davis.

ME: I need information about my husband.

Marriage does have its perks.

After Jeremy called me, I was able to make demands at the hospital that I never would have been able to ask for if it weren't for the fact that I was now the husband of one of the people on the bus.

NURSE: He's in stable condition.
ME: What about the others?
NURSE: We're not allowed to release that information to anybody but family--
VOICE: I'm family!

I turned around to see Jeremy and Paige walking into the waiting room, followed by--

JERRY: I'm here to find out about my son.

--Their dad?

NURSE: Which boy is your--
JERRY: Jackson.
NURSE: I'll go find a doctor.

Jeremy gave me a hug. I could tell he was a wreck. This was not a good time for him to be clinging to sobriety.

ME: Someone said they got the back door to the bus open right as it was hitting the water. Most of them managed to get out.
PAIGE: Most of them?
JERRY: It's a miracle they're all not dead.
JEREMY: Dad we knew most of the people on that bus!
JERRY: We just have to hope that your brother is okay.
PAIGE: What about Joey?
JEREMY: And Billy?
ME: And Hank?

Wow. Maybe I care more about him than I realized.

Before anything else could happen, the doctor arrived.

DOCTOR: Are you Jackson's family?
JEREMY: Yes.
DOCTOR: I'm afraid I have some bad news.

Jeremy nearly fell to the ground, but I managed to catch him.

DOCTOR: He's not dead.
PAIGE: Oh thank god.
JERRY: So what is it then?
DOCTOR: It's...complicated.

It made me wonder.

Is there anything worse than dead?

No comments: