Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Facebook Ruins Lives

Hi, my name is Adam.

ME: So is your fake mom going to be okay?
PAIGE: She's in a coma. I'm so relieved.

Paige and I were Facebook chatting about her disaster of a family, when another chat box popped open.

PATRICK: Hey :o)

I haven't really talked to Patrick much, but he seems sort of fun.

ME: I have to try and get some homework done.
PAIGE: That's okay. I have to go find Joan's plug so I can pull it out.
ME: Good luck with that.
PAIGE: Thanks.

I checked over my shoulder to see if the light in the bedroom was on. Joey had been reading, but now I could hear the shower running.

ME: So what's up?
PATRICK: Um...me lol

Whoa, what was going on here?

ME: That's...interesting.
PATRICK: Yeah lol

Great. He's a constant LOLer.

PATRICK: Wanna help me out with that?
ME: Uh how?
PATRICK: Tell me what you would do if you were here :o)

And here's the bad part...

...I did.

It's just that Joey and I hadn't...been doing anything lately.

He'd just been so distant ever since we moved in together, and...

JOEY: Adam?

The laptop fell off my lap and landed on the floor.

ME: Hey, um, how was your--
JOEY: Shower?
ME: Yeah, that.
JOEY: It was...okay. Who are you talking to on Facebook?
ME: Nobody, I--nobody.

He moved towards the laptop. I tried to stand in his way, but he lightly pushed me aside, bent down, and picked it up.

It was only about a paragraph worth of text, but it was pretty damning all the same.

Joey looked at me with--not hurt, really, but sort of...disappointment...mixed with...relief?

JOEY: I think you're sleeping on the couch tonight.
ME: Yeah, I think I am.

I'm not trying to take the blame off me, but something about the whole situation just felt like...

...A trap.

No comments: