Monday, February 23, 2009

What Needs to Be Done

Hi, my name is Hank.

WILDE: This can't continue.

Wilde called me as soon as I got home. I was going to just fall into my bed and pass out, but the most infamous man in Providence had other plans.

ME: So you didn't get washed out in the storm?
WILDE: You can't kill me, Hank. Luckily, that's not true of everyone.
ME: Uh...
WILDE: Jackson's been blackmailing me.
ME: He's good at that.
WILDE: You told him who I am.
ME: I had no choice!
WILDE: Well now you have to fix what you broke.
ME: How?

I heard a silence on the other line.

WILDE: He has to go.
ME: But nobody's been able to get him to leave. Even Jeremy's stopped trying.
WILDE: Then maybe you should back him into a corner for a change.
ME: But--
WILDE: Or off a cliff.

I thought he was kidding, then I remembered that Wilde doesn't kid.

ME: You can't really be asking me to do this.
WILDE: If you don't, I will, but if I have to, you'll be next on the list.
ME: I--
WILDE: Just do it.

He hung up. Just then, there was a knock on my door.

In a daze, I walked over and opened it.

ME: Speak of the devil.

Jackson was standing there, smiling.

ME: Aren't you exhausted?
JACKSON: Natural disasters turn me on, and I knew you'd still be up.
ME: Have you forgotten that I hate you?
JACKSON: Hate sex is the best kind. Don't you know that?

He waltzed into my apartment. I realized that I would have to get him to trust me if I was going to get rid of him.

JACKSON: So are you going to turn me down again? Because I ran into your neighbor jogging downstairs and he's not half bad--
ME: Shut up.
JACKSON: What?

I walked over to him, scooped him up, and started walking him to the bedroom.

JACKSON: Hank, oh my. What changed your mind?
ME: A boy's gotta do, what a boy's gotta do.

I guess this is what they call taking one for the team.

No comments: