Monday, February 16, 2009

Going Down

Hi, my name is Ben.

JEREMY:  We're going to die.

This is not how I'm going to die.

Trapped in an elevator with my sworn enemy wearing my 2nd cutest pair of underwear and enough gel in my hair to solidify the Pacific.

ME:  We'll be fine.  We just have to wait until the power comes back on.
JEREMY:  Considering a pole with power lines just went through my bedroom window, I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

I could see that Jeremy was worried about Jackson.  He didn't have his cell phone on him and mine didn't get any service in the elevator, so for all we knew, Jackson was still trapped in Jeremy's bedroom waiting for help.

JEREMY:  I don't what I'm going to do if anything happens to him.
ME:  For one thing, you should try and make sure you inherit his wardrobe.
JEREMY:  Ben!
ME:  You look amazing.
JEREMY:  Wow.
ME:  What?
JEREMY:  When was the last time you told me I looked good?
ME:  When WAS the last time you looked good?

He was about to say something but then the elevator shifted, and instead, he grabbed onto me.

JEREMY:  It can't end this way.  I have so much left to do!  I want to see Paris.  I want to be on Broadway.  I want to live long enough to be judgmental!

The elevator shifted again.

ME:  I wish Billy had forgiven me.
JEREMY:  How could he?  You never apologized.
ME:  Couldn't he see that everything I did, I did so that he would care about me again.
JEREMY:  Did you ever think that maybe just being yourself would have worked?  Instead of being such a manipulative asshole?
ME:  Oh yeah, because that always works for Chuck on Gossip Girl.

This time we went down a few inches, and even though it wasn't much, I saw my life go before my eyes.

ME:  Wow, I shouldn't have gotten that crew cut in third grade.
JEREMY:  Huh?
ME:  Never mind.  Is there anything you wish you were forgiven for?
JEREMY:  Yeah.
ME:  What?
JEREMY:  Something I did in New York.
ME:  You mean like...THE...New York thing?
JEREMY:  Yeah.
ME:  Well, you could always tell me.
JEREMY:  Why would I do that?
ME:  It would absolve your guilt?
JEREMY:  I'm sorry.  Did somebody make you a priest without my hearing about it?  Because I really would have loved to have gone to that ceremony.

I put my hand on his shoulder.

ME:  It really might help.

He looked at my hand, then at me.

JEREMY:  Just so we're clear, are you actually being nice to me?
ME:  Jeremy, believe it or not, I don't hate you.
JEREMY:  Then why--
ME:  Because in case you haven't figured it out; I'm not thrilled about being gay.  I never have been.  And you don't seem to mind.  And that's just infuriating to me.
JEREMY:  Is that what these past two years have been about?  You hating yourself and taking it out on me?
ME:  I thought you were smart enough to already know that.
JEREMY:  Ben, that's incredibly sad.
ME:  Who knows?  Maybe if we make it out of this alive, I'll get over it.

I could hear a sound coming from the elevator shaft, like a cord snapping.

JEREMY:  Oh God...
ME:  Jeremy?
JEREMY:  Yeah?
ME:  I don't want to die like this.
JEREMY:  How do you want to die?
ME:  Um, that's the thing.

I pushed him up against the back wall of the elevator and kissed him.

That was when we felt the elevator drop, and more than a few inches.

No comments: