Sunday, February 15, 2009

Thunder in the Distance

Hi, my name is Davis.

BILLY:  So are we going to the Hurricane Party or not?

I'm in the middle of a storm.

Billy had come over and we were on our way to Prisms to enjoy a good old fashioned party during one of the worst weather events in the past two years.

(According to meteorologists, but who can trust them, right?)

BILLY:  I have my rain slicker in my car.
ME:  Great.  I didn't realize I was going to a party with Donald O'Connor.
BILLY:  Who?
ME:  God, you're young.  Let me grab my coat and we can go.

That was when my phone rang.

ME:  Hello?
HANK:  Were you planning on going to Prisms?
ME:  Heading there now.
HANK:  Don't bother.  They've shut down all the streets in Providence.
ME:  What?  Why?
HANK:  Flooding.
ME:  Great.
HANK:  I guess some people are already stuck there.
ME:  Wah wah wah.
HANK:  Tell me about it.  Talk to you later.
ME:  Bye.

When I walked into the living room, Billy was sucking down a root beer.

ME:  You never learn, do you?
BILLY:  Well you're not going to roofie me, are you?

Like I'd need to.

ME:  No, of course not.
BILLY:  So are we going?
ME:  I guess global warming has spread up, and now downtown is flooded.
BILLY:  That sucks.
ME:  Yeah.  Luckily, we're north of Water World, so we should be okay if you wanted to get a pizza or something.
BILLY:  Sounds good.

I called in the pizza, and then went and sat down on the couch.

ME:  Sooo...
BILLY:  Sooo...

We looked at each other.  I could hear Jeremy's voice in my head--

IMAGINARY JEREMY:  Banned Banned Banned Banned!

That was the point where I should have excused myself to make sure the paint in the other room was dry.

BILLY:  Davis?
ME:  Yeah?
BILLY:  Do you want to kiss me right now?
ME:  God Yes.
BILLY:  Then do it.

Somewhere in the distance, I heard thunder.

No comments: