Friday, February 6, 2009

Shots

Hi, my name is Carter.

ME: I can't believe Ben did that!
JEREMY: You can't? I can. He's a tool.
HANK: He's done for now. There's no coming back from this.

We were all out at Prisms on a Friday talking about Ben and Billy's blow-up.

I wanted to go down and dance, but Hank won't even go near the dance floor until he's drunk enough to forget how to count past four.

Now, I wasn't really paying attention, but luckily I happened to look at the door when I saw a big posse coming into the club.

JEREMY: Is there a birthday party here tonight?
HANK: If there is, we're leaving. I don't feel like hanging around a bunch of obnoxious pricks.
JEREMY: And yet you're friends with--
HANK: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Don't remind me.

That's when I saw him.

ME: Uh oh.
JEREMY: What's wrong?
ME: A guy just walked in that I don't like.
HANK: Who?
ME: Adam Setter.
JEREMY: The promoter?
ME: Yeah. We...um...
HANK: You hooked up with him?
ME: Does it count as a hook-up if I don't remember it?

Adam looked over my way. I didn't know if he'd remember me or that me and my friends left him a bathtub unconscious, but I wasn't going to take that chance.

ME: Guys, what do I do?
JEREMY: Carter, it's just a one-night stand. He probably wants to avoid you just as much as you want to avoid him.
ME: But I'm even wearing the same outfit I was wearing when I was with him.
HANK: You mean you're wearing it again or you never changed? Because with you, you never know.

I started stripping.

JEREMY: What are you doing?
ME: Maybe he won't recognize me if I'm just in my underwear.
HANK: Isn't that going to jog his memory even more?
ME: I need to do something so he won't pay attention to me.
JEREMY: Well, he's a snob. So he's probably pretty dismissive towards the shot boys.
ME: EXCELLENT!

I ran over to the bar, and talked to Lulu the Lesbian.

ME: Heyyyy Lulu.
LULU: No, I'm not giving you a free drink.
ME: I don't want one. I just want to be a shot boy for a night.
LULU: No way. You haven't even gone through training.
ME: Isn't it just hitting on old guys and looking stupid?
LULU: Good point. You're lucky Biff called out tonight.

She handed me a tray of drinks.

LULU: Get moving.

I managed to circulate enough to avoid Adam. Luckily, his group moved on after about an hour, but since I was making okay money, I stuck with it.

At the end of the night, I found Jeremy and Hank again.

JEREMY: How'd you plan work?
ME: It was amazing! I made two hundred dollars!
HANK: Next step--sucking off Johns in an Oldsmobile on Thornton street.
ME: Hey, being a shotboy is just like any other job.
JEREMY: So you're actually going to keep doing this?
ME: Jeremy, I made two hundred dollars in a night. How much do you make in a night?
JEREMY: This would be where I remind you that you owe me eighty dollars.
HANK: And you owe me one-twenty.

Hank snatched the two-hundred from my hand, and the two of them headed back towards the car.

Wow, I thought, I already went through my first paycheck.

No comments: