Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Night on the Town

Hi, my name is Billy.

JACKSON:  There you are!

I was in the Fish Bowl in between classes.

JACKSON:  What are you up to?

From now on, I'm going to hang out at the library.

ME:  I was just about to head to class, Jackson.
JACKSON:  And what about tonight?  Are you busy?
ME:  Very busy.
JACKSON:  Doing what?
ME:  Avoiding everyone and being anti-social.
JACKSON:  Same as every other night, huh?

I got up and started walking to class, but Jackson didn't get the hint.

ME:  Do you want something?
JACKSON:  Yes.
ME:  Can I ask what it is?
JACKSON:  Why the hostility, Billy Goat?
ME:  First of all, no.  Second of all, everybody's been bugging me since the night at the club with Ben.  They all think I'm going to fall apart.
JACKSON:  Oh, don't worry.  I'm not that sensitive.  I just need someone brave enough to go out on a Monday night with me, and I know you don't have class tomorrow.
ME:  Where would we go?
JACKSON:  Well, it's Rhode Island, so probably the IHOP.

I stopped outside the theater building.

ME:  I'll make you a deal.  Don't bring up Ben, and we can go wherever you want.
JACKSON:  Agreed.  Wear cute underwear.
ME:  Why?
JACKSON:  You never know.
ME:  Oh, but I do.

That night we met up at Texture, the newest club downtown.  It's a little more ritzy than Prisms, and after the Ben debacle, I'm not eager to go back anytime soon.

Jackson was waiting for me at the bar.

ME:  I'm here.
JACKSON:  Red boxer-briefs with a blue stripe down the middle.
ME:  Uh--how did you...?
JACKSON:  It's a gift.  Want a drink?
ME:  I don't drink.
JACKSON:  Oh, right.  You're Amish.

Once we got past the sarcasm, we actually started having a rather nice conversation.  It lasted for about an hour, and then Jackson showed his real motives.

JACKSON:  So tell me about you and Davis.
ME:  What about me and Davis?
JACKSON:  Is there...something there?
ME:  No, no, no, and no.
JACKSON:  Inquiring minds want to know.
ME:  Douchebags who can't mind their own business?
JACKSON:  Yes, those people.
ME:  You know, I'd rather not--
JACKSON:  Did I bring up He-Whose-Name-Begins-With-B?
ME:  I knew there was more to this than just hanging out.
JACKSON:  We are hanging out, and I'm not trying to pry because I want something.  I just want to know if I'm going to get in trouble when I bring you home with me tonight.

I nearly choked on my soda.

ME:  You think you're taking me home with you?
JACKSON:  Don't worry.  Jeremy's probably already asleep.  I made him cookies and milk before I left.
ME:  I'm not going to sleep with you.
JACKSON:  Why not?  You clearly like bad boys.
ME:  I do not!
JACKSON:  Please, let's walk into the honesty circle.  You like bad boys, and your biggest problem with my brother was that he was a sweetheart.  I look just like him except I'm manipulative and confrontational.  You're going to get everything you want.

I stood up and started putting on my coat.

ME:  The reason your brother and I didn't work out is because...because...

Suddenly, I started feeling woozy.

JACKSON:  Aren't you going to finish your root beer?
ME:  I feel funny.
JACKSON:  I'd better get you home then.

I had to sit down, but I nearly couldn't find the bar stool.

ME:  You put something in my drink.
JACKSON:  Don't be silly.  You're just tired.  You'd better crash at my place tonight, Billy.
ME:  I, no, I...

Before I could say any more, I felt him put his arm around my waist and guide me outside.  In my pocket, I could feel my cell phone.  I knew that the last person I called was Davis, so I hit the Send button.

That was all I could manage before I blacked out.

No comments: