Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Last of Us

Hi, my name is Eli.

JEREMY:  Thank God you brought him when you did.

I just saved Joey's life.

He passed out at the restaurant, and no ambulance could get to us.  So, I drove him through the Mississippi river that currently is downtown Providence.  I drove him right to Providence Hospital and carried him into the Emergency Room myself.

The boys showed up a few hours later.

DAVIS:  Have they said what's wrong with him?
ME:  No, not yet.  I had to tell them I was his brother just to get any information out of them.
BILLY:  But he was definitely drugged?
ME:  Absolutely.
BEN:  But who would have drugged him?  He was with you all night.
ME:  I don't know!

They were starting to get under my skin.  It was clear they thought that I had something to do with Joey passing out at the IHOP.

NATHAN:  We're all just nervous.  It's natural.
JEREMY:  Nothing has been natural about tonight.
DAVIS:  Amen to that.
JEREMY:  Oh shut up, Davis.
DAVIS:  I was waiting for you to get mad at me.
BILLY:  Now is not the time.
JEREMY:  I agree.  You're both dead to me.  We'll just leave it at that.
NATHAN:  Jeremy, can't you just--
BEN:  Don't, Nathan.
NATHAN:  Excuse me?
BEN:  Just leave him alone.

Ben standing up for Jeremy?  It really has been a crazy night.

A few minutes later, Hank and Jackson showed up.

ME:  Did you two come together?
JACKSON:  Hank picked me up.
NATHAN:  Do you not hate each other anymore either?  Because that seems to be a trend.
HANK:  We're just decided to be adults.
DAVIS:  Have fun with that.

We heard someone clear their throat, and saw the doctor standing next to us.

DOCTOR:  Eli, your brother...uh...should we talk in private?

I looked at the CBQ's.

ME:  They're family, too.
NATHAN:  We're all Joey's family.
ME:  Is he okay?

The doctor looked down at his chart.

DOCTOR:  He's gone.

I felt my heart drop.

DAVIS:  What do you mean he's gone?
DOCTOR:  His heart gave out, and we lost him.  I'm so sorry.

I didn't listen to the rest of what he said.  I didn't notice when Nathan started to cry, or when Jeremy and Billy let him fall into their arms.

The only thing I remember is walking outside, and for the first time in twenty-four hours, feeling the sun on my face.

No comments: