Friday, January 4, 2008

Testing the Waters

Hi, my name is Carter.

I don't know what I'm doing.

Someone said to Decompress

Techno/club music...check.

DOMINICK: Ruby special on the rocks.

Weird drinks served by shirtless bartenders...check.

RANDOM GUY: Hey Dom!

Really girly gay men...

ANOTHER RANDOM GAY GUY: Girl, someone needs to make...you...over.
RANDOM GUY: Shut your face, Sheila E!

Double check.

I was bored.

When I'm bored, I do...things.

Like go to random places.

Like bars...that are primarily for gay guys.

I don't know why.

Standing at the second floor of the bar and looking down, it was like looking into a sea of nastiness.

And I all I wanted to do was swim in it.

VOICE: You look a little out of place.

I turned around to see a guy a little older than me leaning on the railing with a drink in his hand. He looked like he already had a few. He sort of had this dorky look to him that's kind of cool, I guess, if you're into guys, which you might think I am, because I was in a gay bar, but I'm totally not.

ME: I'm not gay.
GUY: Huh?
ME: I'm not gay.
GUY: That might explain why you look out of place.
ME: I'm just checking things out.
GUY: Just testing the waters?
ME: What water? There's a pool?
GUY: It's an expression.

I didn't know if that was gay lingo or not.

ME: So...are you...?
GUY: Gay, yes.
ME: You look like you've had a lot to drink.
GUY: Not nearly enough, actually.
ME: How come you look sad?
GUY: Oh, my boyfriend screwed me tonight.
ME: Isn't that what he's supposed to do?
GUY: I mean, in a metaphorical sense. He was supposed to vote with me on something and instead he voted with my mortal enemy.
ME: I'm sorry.
GUY: He said he had to do what he felt was right. Once again, I get royally--
ME: Do you want to get out of here?

He looked at me kind of funny. I realize how I said it...It must have sounded--But I didn't mean it that way.

But I didn't say anything either.

GUY: Um...No. Like I said. I have a boyfriend.
ME: Okay. But you're mad at him.
GUY: That doesn't mean I'm going to cheat on him.
ME: We could just get pizza.
GUY: That's all you want? Pizza?

He smiled at me in a way I didn't like. Kind of sort of like 'Oh, you poor young kid.' I don't like that. So I walked away.

GUY: Hey! Wait! What's your name?

I don't know why I told him, but I figured--

ME: It's Carter.
GUY: I'm Bart. Nice to meet you, Carter.

I didn't say 'Nice to meet you back.'

I'm never going back to that place. Never.

Unless I'm bored again and have nothing to do.

No comments: