Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Switch

Hi, my name is Adam.

JOEY: Oh, hey.
ME: Hey.

I'm about to switch things up.

Ritchie hadn't called me since I spent the night at his apartment, and to me, that meant I was free to move in on his roommate.

PAIGE: Adam, Ritchie doesn't have a roommate.

I'd already discussed my plan with Paige over lunch at the dining hall.

ME: Yeah, he does. Some guy was there when I stayed over.
PAIGE: Ooooh, maybe he has a secret boyfriend.
ME: A secret boyfriend who wouldn't be upset that we were in the shower together?
PAIGE: I should post this on the blog.
ME: Are you still writing that stupid Wilde--

She clamped her hand down over my mouth.

PAIGE: Nobody is supposed to know about that!

I moved her hand away.

ME: What was that post about somebody dead coming back to life?
PAIGE: Oh, that was just about Davis. He's going to get back into club promoting apparently.
ME: I kinda want to make out with this Davis guy. He seems unattainable.
PAIGE: Apparently he's dating a total crazy.
ME: I'll wait it out.

In the meantime, I had to figure out how to get in Ritchie's shower--this time with Joey.

JOEY: If you're looking for Ritchie--
ME: He's watching a movie with Jeremy, I know. I, uh--

-- A Half Hour Earlier --

JEREMY: Adam, you're welcome to stay and watch the movie with us when Ritchie gets here.
BILLY: Yeah, you were the one that suggested a movie night.
ME: No thanks. I forgot I have a lot of studying to do.

-- A Half Hour Later --

ME: --I saw it on his Facebook.
JOEY: So what did you come over for then?
ME: I just...wanted to...make a new friend.

I could see he wasn't buying it.

I tried another tact.

ME: How come none of Ritchie's friends have ever mentioned you?
JOEY: Uh, what do you mean?
ME: Jeremy, Billy, Jackson--none of them have ever brought you up. Do they not know that you and Ritchie are living together?
JOEY: No, actually, they don't. So if you could keep that to yourself, that would be great.
ME: Yeah, sure.

He smiled. For some reason, he looked really relieved. Maybe he and Ritchie were secret boyfriends with some weird open sex policy.

ME: I guess I can go now.
JOEY: Well...you don't have to go right away.
ME: You sure?
JOEY: Yeah, I don't get to hang out with people too much. I'm always really...tired. Dead tired.
ME: Oh.
JOEY: But if you have studying to do or something--
ME: No, it's cool. I can hang out.

Twenty minutes later, I was back in the shower.

I guess it's my sweet spot.

1 comment:

Paige said...

very accurate. well, except for me putting my hand on his mouth. I'd either get pinched or slapped for a move like that. ; )