Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Carter Grows Up

Hi, my name is Carter.

LIAM: We're going out tonight.
ME: No, we're not.

I never thought I'd be the one arguing to NOT go out on a Saturday night, but things have changed.

Liam and I have been dating all summer, and I've been working full-time at a restaurant on the east side. The two of us are living together, and sometimes it's good.

ME: I have to work brunch tomorrow.
LIAM: Fine, I understand.

And sometimes it's bad.

LIAM: I'll just go by myself and have sex with some other guy on the dance floor.

Like now.

Liam is just out of high school--and by just out, I mean dropped out. He doesn't do much except for sitting around the apartment and yelling at me.

ME: Liam, why can't we just stay home and enjoy each other's company?
LIAM: Ewww! Are you serious? What would we do?
ME: Talk?

. . . . .

LIAM: Hahahahaha...Sorry I didn't realize that was a joke.

Knock, Knock.

I was little surprised when I answered the door to find Davis and Jeremy there.

ME: Is it my turn to throw a really bad dinner party?
JEREMY: Ugh, don't even bring up that trainwreck with my mother.
DAVIS: Liam called. He said you guys were going out.
VOICE: Change of plans!

Liam pushed past me, and up to the boys.

LIAM: I'm going out. Carter's staying home and sleeping like an old lady.
JEREMY: Oh well--
LIAM: And you boys are coming with me.
JEREMY: I don't think we could--
DAVIS: Speak for yourself, Kit Kat. Daddy needs a drink. Lead the way, Jailbait.

Davis and Liam disappeared down the hall.

JEREMY: I can hang out here with you if you want, Carter.
ME: No, it's okay.

He didn't even kiss me good-bye.

JEREMY: You could always dump him, you know.
ME: But I love him, Jeremeee.

Jeremy gave me a hug, then said--

JEREMY: Growing up sucks, huh?

I nodded.

All I could think of was him making out with someone on the dance floor.

Hmm...

Maybe Liam and I need couples' counseling.

No comments: