Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Reason to Stay

Hi, my name is Davis.

JEREMY: So technically I'm not allowed to be here?
ME: No, you're DEFINITELY not allowed to be here.

Jeremy came over to watch a movie at my place. Travis, my boyfriend, wants me to stop hanging out with the CBQ's, but I think Jeremy should be an exception since he's not nearly as catty or bitchy as the other gays...or me, for that matter.

JEREMY: I'm confused.
ME: Hey, you're the one who wanted to rent a David Lynch movie.
JEREMY: I was referring to you and Travis. Are you actually happy with him?
ME: I'm never happy with anyone. Only mildly amused.
JEREMY: So why is he still around?

I decided to show Jeremy my reason to stay.

Sitting on my coffee table was a phone number. I handed it to Jeremy.

JEREMY: Is this the other guy you call when Travis is out of town?
ME: No, that's Skyler's number.

Jeremy immediately hit the Pause button on the remote control.

JEREMY: Skyler? The kidnapper?
ME: More importantly, the money stealer.
JEREMY: I'm so glad that's the part you remember.
ME: I'm upset that he kidnap you. But you're back and safe, and my money is still being held hostage.

Jeremy took the number and stood up.

ME: Don't go too far with that.
JEREMY: Davis, what are you going to do?
ME: I'm going to call and see if he wants to go out for pizza.
JEREMY: What does that number have to do with Travis?
ME: Travis tracked down Skyler.
JEREMY: How?
ME: I don't know. He's rich. Rich people make things happen. I should know, I used to be one of them.
JEREMY: So what are you going to do?
ME: With the number you mean? I already did it.
JEREMY: Did what?
ME: Called him.

It was a sweet slice of pie, let me tell you.

VOICEMAIL: Hi, leave a message.
ME: Hi Skyler, this is Davis. Look behind you. Keep looking. Pretty soon I'll be there when you turn around. Later.

Beep

Told you. Pie, right?

Jeremy looked really upset. Not the reaction I was expecting.

JEREMY: Davis, please leave this alone.
ME: Jeremy, the guy conned us and almost killed you!
JEREMY: And now he's gone. Let's just let him be gone, okay?
ME: Not okay. Because of him I have to have a sugar daddy or I'd be eating mac and cheese in my parents' basement!

I got up and went into the kitchen. I was already done with this conversation.

Jeremy followed me.

JEREMY: So what's the plan?
ME: What do you care?
JEREMY: I care about you.
ME: Then stay out of my way.
JEREMY: Hey!

He stepped in front of me.

JEREMY: You don't talk that way to me. I'm not some guy you know.
ME: You don't know what it's like to have your entire life taken away from you. That's what Skyler did to me. And I'm going to get it back--with interest.
JEREMY: He's dangerous.
ME: Not as dangerous as me.
JEREMY: You or Travis?
ME: Travis is just the facilitator. Once I get my money back, he's gone.
JEREMY: And what if Skyler spent the money?
ME: Then there's going to be one more hooker downtown until he earns it back for me.
JEREMY: You're kidding.
ME: You think.

I went back into the living room and sat down on the couch. Jeremy was still standing in the kitchen doorway looking nervous.

Poor kid.

He worries too much.

No comments: