Thursday, January 7, 2010

Nathan's Big Secret

Hi, my name is Nathan.

HANK: How you doing, slugger?

I'm in a wheelchair.

ME: I've been better.

Notice how I didn't say "I'm disable." Only that I'm in a wheelchair.

RITCHIE: Ben must feel so guilty that he was driving the car when the accident happened.
ME: Oh, he feels guilty all right.

After our car crashed into the tree, I couldn't feel my legs. I was in the hospital for a month before they let me out.

I did rehabilitation for another month and then--

HANK: Just don't lose hope. You might walk again.

--A miracle happened.

VOICE: Okay, guys.

Ben popped his head into my bedroom. Ritchie and Hank had been visiting me.

BEN: Time for Nathan to get some rest.
ME: I'm not an invalid, Ben.
BEN: Hey, who's the boyfriend here?
RITCHIE: He's right. We'll go.
HANK: I'll come see you tomorrow.
ME: Thanks.

They left the room. Ben came back a minute later.

BEN: Ready for lights out?
ME: Are you going to sleep in bed with me tonight?
BEN: That's not part of the deal.
ME: The deal can change.
BEN: Not on my watch it can't.
ME: You know, this would be a lot simpler if you just accepted that we're going to be together for a very long time.
BEN: Or until one of us dies. Goodnight.

He hit the light, and shut the door.

That was when I stood up out of the chair, and stretched--which felt amazing.

So I guess your question might be--

When am I telling Ben I can walk?

I guess the answer is--

Once he's back in love with me.

Satisfied?

No comments: