Monday, March 23, 2009

A Shot in the Dark

Hi, my name is Ben.

NATHAN: Do you have any idea how lucky you are?

I've just been shot.

ME: Lucky? I got run over by a car and shot in less than a year. I don't know if 'lucky' is the word I'd use for myself.

All the CBQ's were gathered around my hospital bed. The bullet hit my leg. It bled a lot, but there won't be any lasting damage.

ME: Did they find the guy who did it?
JEREMY: He had an easy get-away. There were people everywhere.
BILLY: The entire hotel emptied out in the streets. By the time the police got there--
HANK: Long gone.
ME: Great.

Davis was lingering in the back of the room looking nervous.

ME: Davis, what's wrong?
DAVIS: Nothing. I just--I think I went into shock or something.
RITCHIE: Why do you say that?
DAVIS: I thought I saw something that I couldn't have seen.

Ritchie and Nathan exchanged a look.

NATHAN: Did you see the shooter?
DAVIS: Uh...no. No, I didn't. I just--it was just crazy.
ELI: Wow, you never look this shaken up.
DAVIS: Maybe I'm just getting sick of all this drama. Our lives have turned into Falcon Crest.
JEREMY: I don't think anyone ever actually got shot on Falcon Crest, Davis.

I decided now might be a good time to milk my injury a little.

ME: Is there any way I could talk to Jeremy for a second?
JEREMY: Sure.

Everybody filed out of the room.

ME: Do you feel sorry for me?
JEREMY: Not sorry enough to take you back, no.
ME: You know, when the bullet hit me and I passed out; my life kind of flashed before my eyes.
JEREMY: That should have been fun. You like horror movies.
ME: Mostly what I remember is when you and I first met. Before Billy showed up and all Hell broke loose. We were friends.
JEREMY: We're still friends.
ME: Not like we were.
JEREMY: Is that a surprise to you?
ME: I want that back.
JEREMY: Ben, you're lucky we even still speak to each other.

I took his hand.

ME: I know I screwed up, and I know I've been forgiven for a lot of stuff, but I just need one more. I need one more chance with you.
JEREMY: No way.
ME: Not as a boyfriend. Just...to be in your life...to not have you hate me.

He took a deep breath.

JEREMY: Okay.
ME: Okay?
JEREMY: Okay. One more shot. Pardon the pun.

I laughed.

ME: Can we seal it with a kiss?
JEREMY: Ben--
ME: Fine. It was just a shot in the dark.
JEREMY: Ben!
ME: Hey! I'm the one that took it.

There was a knock on the door. Ritchie, Nathan, and Jackson were standing there.

RITCHIE: Can we get a second?
JACKSON: Or are you two going to do it right there in the bed?
ME: He cheated. We're not getting back together. I'm not Nathan.
NATHAN: Hey!

Jeremy smiled, winked at me, and left the room.

ME: So what's up guys?

Nathan sat down on my bed.

NATHAN: I think we need your help.
ME: With that?
RITCHIE: Finding out what happened to Cal.
ME: Why would I care about that?
JACKSON: Because we think he's the reason you got shot.
ME: Huh? How?
NATHAN: This is where we tell you it's a long story.

I laid back in bed.

ME: I got nothing but time, boys.

No comments: