Thursday, March 5, 2009

Double Indemnity

Hi, my name is Hank.

JACKSON:  If anything's happened...
ME:  He's probably not dead.  He might be maimed, but he's not dead.
JACKSON:  Comforting, as always.

He put his head on my shoulder.  We were driving behind Davis and Billy heading towards Adam Setter's place on the west side.

It's strange.  I'd been given an order from Wilde to get rid of Jackson, and I still planned on doing that, but I'd also grown strangely close to him.

It wasn't just the sex, although the sex was helping.  Jackson was clearly falling for me, and I was having a hard time not doing the same.

That was going to make it really hard not to destroy him.

JACKSON:  Hank, I have to tell you something.
ME:  Okay.
JACKSON:  It's something nobody knows.

Uh...do we have a cha ching coming up?

ME:  Nobody?
JACKSON:  Not even Jeremy.
ME:  Okay.
JACKSON:  If anyone knew, it would...I'd have to leave Rhode Island.

CHA CHING.

ME:  What is it?
JACKSON:  The reason I came here.

We were almost at Adam's apartment.  I could see Nathan's car.

ME:  Well?
JACKSON:  Maybe I shouldn't.
ME:  You don't trust me?
JACKSON:  It's not that.  I just don't want you to hate me.
ME:  I could never hate you.  Don't you know that?
JACKSON:  God, this is hard.  It's so hard to believe someone.

I had to get it out of him, or he'd be preoccupied with saving his brother's life.

JACKSON:  Fine.  I have to get this off my chest.

Jackson lifted his head up, and whispered in my ear.

JACKSON:  I know you made a deal with Wilde, you fucking asshole.

Before I could process what he said, he hit the "Unlock" switch on my door, grabbed the latch, and opened it--pushing me out in the process.

I hit the ground pretty hard, but I was still coherent.

That was when I saw my own car coming towards me--with Jackson behind the wheel.

No comments: