Saturday, March 7, 2009

Never in a Million Years

Hi, my name is Jeremy.

BEN: So this is our coming out?
ME: I guess so.

Ben and I are about to make things...official.

After being "kidnapped," I seemed to get a fresh start with everyone. Once the dust had settled, I looked around realized what I wanted.

I wanted to pursue things with Ben.

BEN: Did you ever think we'd be going to Billy's birthday party together?
ME: Never in a million years.

I had gone on a few more dates with Skyler, but it's hard to make time for someone who isn't already immersed in your life. Ben and I go to school together, we both do theater, and we have the same circle of friends.

Life just seems...easier with him.

BEN: You look cute.
ME: So do you.

Easier? Ten bucks says I'm going to regret that statement.

When we showed up at Billy's party--held at Davis' place, of course--everyone was already there. We just walked in, not drawing too much attention to ourselves.

It was Ritchie who picked up on something.

RITCHIE: Did you two come together?
ME: Yeah.
RITCHIE: As in, you walked in together, or you--
BEN: We came together--as a couple.

That was when all the heads turned.

Carter was the only one to have an inkling that this was going to happen. I'd confessed that I was developing feelings for Ben the night I disappeared.

Everyone else was pretty--

NATHAN: Are you serious?

--Well--

NATHAN: ARE YOU SERIOUS?

--surprised?

ELI: Is this a joke?
HANK: You two hate each other.
JACKSON: This is about the elevator, isn't it?
RITCHIE: I'm sorry--elevator?
JACKSON: Catch up, new boy.
RITCHIE: Uh, pardon me--you're the new boy, rookie.

Davis and Billy still hadn't said anything.

DAVIS: Hey, if you two are happy--
BILLY: Oh give me a break!

One out of two isn't bad.

BILLY: You two can't be happy.
ME: We are, actually.
BILLY: You're mortal enemies.
JACKSON: The sex must be incredible.
NATHAN: Ew! Ew! Ew!

Billy looked at me like he was going to cry. Then he stormed out of the room.

CARTER: Can we have cake now?

I followed Billy into Davis' bedroom. He was sitting on the edge of the bed with his little party hat in his hands.

BILLY: You're doing this to get back at me for Davis.
ME: You think I'm that petty?
BILLY: Aren't you?
ME: Yes, but this would be a little much even for me.

I sat down next to him.

BILLY: Didn't you warn me about dating Ben?
ME: This is different.
BILLY: How do you figure?
ME: You were naive; I'm not. Ben's different with me.
BILLY: I think that's the classic last phrase of anybody who's about to get screwed over--He's different with me.

Ben stood up and started to walk out of the room. I stood up as well.

ME: I know you're upset, because...Because you and I...I know you're upset. And I'm sorry. I feel something for Ben. I haven't...I haven't felt anything for anyone since you. It's nice to feel something again.

Billy turned around.

BILLY: He's going to hurt you.
ME: I've been hurt before.
BILLY: He hasn't changed.
ME: No, but maybe I have.
BILLY: Not like you'd need to.

He walked up to me.

BILLY: I miss having you chase after me.
ME: I bet. It's nice being chased.
BILLY: Is that what you wanted? You wanted to be chased?
ME: No, I want to be caught.

We looked at each other, and for a second, it seemed like we were going to--

RITCHIE: Hey guys?

Billy took a step away from me. Ritchie walked into the bedroom.

RITCHIE: We're about to do the cake.
BILLY: Great. Be out in a second.

Ritchie took off. Billy seemed like he was about to say something, then stopped.

ME: What?
BILLY: Can you keep a secret?
ME: Sure.

He leaned in and whispered in my ear.

BILLY: I think I'm still in love with you.

With that, he turned and walked out. I stumbled out a few minutes later and stood next to Ben as everyone sang 'Happy Birthday.'

BEN: Did you two talk?
ME: Ohhh, we talked.
BEN: How did it go?
ME: It was...a revelation.

Billy looked at me, smiled, and blew out the candles.

No comments: