Friday, March 13, 2009

The Connection

Hi, my name is Nathan.

RITCHIE: So let's go over what we know.

I've teamed up with Ritchie.

ME: We don't know anything.

Not that it's doing much good.

I'm still determined to find out what connection there is between Cal sending Joey a text message saying that Billy is dangerous and Joey dying.

Ritchie and I were having a drink at Slice trying to figure out the next step to take. When it looked like Billy might have been responsible for Jeremy's disappearance, we nearly confronted him. Now Jeremy's home safe and sound and everybody just wants to move on.

Everybody except me.

ME: I feel like this all leads back to Cal. If we can just find Cal--
RITCHIE: We've tried. Everyone has. Besides, who knows if the person that was texting Joey was actually Cal or just someone fucking with his head?
ME: This just doesn't make any sense.

Ritchie ordered us another round.

RITCHIE: Is there anything you can remember about the night Cal disappeared? Was he talking about anything?
ME: Just about that stupid play he was going to direct at school. And he was talking about Burt Fleischer getting named Tool of the Year.
RITCHIE: Burt Fleischer!
ME: I know, I was gunning for Ben. I even sent Wilde an impassioned letter about it.
RITCHIE: So they moved up the contest then?

At first, I was confused.

ME: What do you mean?
RITCHIE: Cal disappeared in September, didn't he?
ME: Yeah, right when Jeremy got back from New York.
RITCHIE: Doesn't Wilde name Tool of the Year in October?
ME: Actually...you're right.
RITCHE: So Cal knew before it was actually announced?

That's when it hit me.

ME: Jesus, Ritchie...
RITCHIE: Do you think--?
ME: What else could it mean?

Cal is Wilde.

No comments: