Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tex for Breakfast

Hi, my name is Ritchie.

NATHAN:  We're wasting our time.

Yes, well, sort of...

Nathan and I met up with Carter after I disclosed to Nathan that I thought Billy might have something to do with Cal's disappearance and Joey's death.

If you understand that sentence, then I'll send you a prize in the mail.

CARTER:  This is where Tex lives.

It was coming up on noon, and none of us had slept.  Carter woke up another bartender at Prisms to get Tex's address.  Luckily, he'd had a party at his house the week before for all his co-workers.

CARTER:  Except me.  I wasn't invited.
NATHAN:  That's because he probably wanted to keep all his valuables.

Tex lived on the west side of the city.  When we knocked on his door, we heard grumbling and then the hottest shirtless man I have ever seen opened the door.

CARTER:  Hey Tex.
TEX:  Carter, for the last time, I'm not interested.
ME:  It's not about that, but knock me over with a feather I'm so surprised.  By the way, I'm Ritchie, back in town for a brief period of time and I don't believe we've--
NATHAN:  ENOUGH!  Show him the photo, Carter.

Carter held up his Blackberry--probably borrowed out of some one night stand's room--and showed Tex the photo of Cal.

CARTER:  Was this the guy that left with my friend last night?
TEX:  You woke me up for this?
ME:  Please, it's important.
TEX:  No, this guy was more exotic looking.

Exotic?

NATHAN:  Thank you.  Carter, try calling Davis.  We're going to have to try something else.

Carter walked away, which gave me a chance to show Tex the photo I really wanted him to see.

TEX:  No, that's not him either.
NATHAN:  His name is Billy.
ME:  Not really exotic, but--
TEX:  Not him.  Sorry.  Can I go back to sleep now?
ME:  Yeah, sure.

Nathan and I started walking away, when a guy pushed past us.

RANDOM GUY:  Hey Tex, thanks for last night.  It was fun.

I turned around.

ME:  Aren't you supposed to be the straight bartender?
TEX:  That only helps the tips.  But keep that to yourself, all right?
ME:  I'll make a mental note.
RANDOM GUY:  What are you guys?  The next shift?
NATHAN:  We're looking for our friend.  He disappeared from Prisms last night.
RANDOM GUY:  Is he the one that left with Javi?
ME:  Who's Javi?
RANDOM GUY:  The Brazilian guy--Adam Setter's boyfriend.

Adam--?

NATHAN:  CARTER!

Carter came running.

NATHAN:  Where does he live?
RANDOM GUY:  Who?
NATHAN:  Javi?
RANDOM GUY:  I don't know.
ME:  Who would know?
TEX:  If it's the same place where Adam lives, which it probably is, considering Brazilians move in fast, it's a few blocks over.  Adam threw a summer block party last year, although I haven't really seen him around since the storm--

Nathan grabbed my arm, and Carter was already running back to the car.

ME:  What's going on?
NATHAN:  I'll explain in the car.

We hopped in the backseat.

CARTER:  Davis is on the phone.

Nathan grabbed it out of his hand.

NATHAN:  Davis, we found him.

And the car took off like a bat out of hell.

No comments: