Sunday, April 1, 2012

Stay Right Where You Are

Hi, my name is Jeremy.

Vibrate, vibrate.

What?  It's not like phones ring anymore.

I was just packing up my stuff for my trip back home to New York when my phone went off.

The caller id read "Edson."

ME:  Hey there, mister.  You calling to tell me all my plants are dead?
EDSON:  He knows.

Instantly, my breath disappears.  I'm mid-breath and then--

ME:  What?
EDSON:  Edward.  He knows.
ME:  About--?
EDOSN:  Everything.

This is not what I wanted to be hearing with an open suitcase staring back at me.

ME:  What should we do?
EDSON:  We aren't going to do anything.  I'm taking care of it.
ME:  Ed--
EDSON:  If you could just stay in Rhode Island for a little while longer, that would be great.
ME:  But--
EDSON:  Please, Jeremy, for me.  I need to work this out and I can't do that with you here.

Jackson poked his head into the bedroom.

JACKSON:  Get a move on.  We have to be at the train station by five.
EDSON:  Just stay there and I'll call you when it's okay to come back.  If it's ever okay.
ME:  If?
JACKSON:  Jeremy what's wrong?
ME:  I'll be out in a minute!

I shut the door.

ME:  You can't tell me I have to say here!
EDSON:  Do whatever you want.  Just please don't come back here.
ME:  Where else would I go?
EDSON:  Jeremy, you lived in Rhode Island for over twenty years.  Will it really kill you to stay there for a few extra days?

Then the line went dead.

Will it kill me?

Clearly, Edson doesn't know Providence that well.

No comments: