Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Summer Place

Hi, my name is Ben.

NATHAN: It's an amazing opportunity.

It's time to decide on my summer.

ELI: I say work. You need to make money.
NATHAN: This would be money.
HANK: Oh yeah, a stipend. You can finally buy that CD rack you've always wanted.
CARTER: I think you should do it. I'd love to spend all summer doing shows.

Everyone was gathered in the Fish Bowl weighing the pro's and con's of my two options: Go to Illinois to work at this theater as an intern or stay in Rhode Island working at the GAP and make major money.

BILLY: Your resume could definitely use some beefing up.
ELI: But there's no guarantee you'll get actual roles. They could have you painting sets and playing chorus boys all summer.
NATHAN: Which is such a vast improvement over retail.
HANK: Besides, you just got back from California, and you didn't like it. What makes you think you'll like Illinois?
CARTER: Because it's a different place! It's exciting!
ELI: It's dreary.

I looked down the hall and saw Jeremy and Jackson. They were probably headed to one of their exams. It hurt to know I'd probably screwed up things with Jeremy for good.

ME: I'm going.
NATHAN: You are?
ME: I am.
NATHAN: Yes!

I had to get out of here--at least for the summer.

HANK: I'm surprised you're happy, Nathan. Aren't you two going to miss each other?
ME: Hank--
NATHAN: Not at all. I'll be working there too.

Oh damn.

No comments: