Thursday, May 21, 2009

See You in September

Hi, my name is Hank.

JEREMY: Loaded up, ready to go.

Remember in the last episode of The Golden Girls when everybody cries and hugs?

BEN: Great. Let's get the hell out of here.

This was not going to be like that.

We were all bidding Ben and Nathan a fond farewell for the summer. They had decided to drive to their summer job in Illinois.

As we watched their car pull away, I did feel a pang in my heart.

That might have been the heat.

JACKSON: It feels like nobody's going to be around for the next three months.
JEREMY: Oh, come on. Providence is lots of fun in the summer.
HANK: For one thing, there's plenty of parking--since no one's here.
CARTER: It'll be warm.
HANK: You can wear even less clothing than you wear now.
DAVIS: I'll tell you one thing. Pride this year is going to be intense.
RITCHIE: Let me guess--they finally booked Clay?
BILLY: Well, I'll be gone in another week.

Everybody turned and looked at him.

JEREMY: You're leaving too?
BILLY: I got a job in Florida.
JACKSON: Doing what?
BILLY: Working at a regional theater.
RITCHIE: Be careful with regional theaters. They never pan out.

Jeremy looked particularly upset. Maybe that old flame for Billy hadn't quite died out yet.

JEREMY: So we just get another week?
BILLY: Jeremy, I'll be back in September. It's only two months.
JEREMY: Two and a half.
JACKSON: Give me a--
JEREMY: It's just a fact.

This was bound to get awkward. I tried to lighten the mood.

HANK: So Carter, slept with anyone recently?
BILLY: Jeremy, why are you so upset?
JEREMY: I'm not upset. Who's upset? I want a bagel. Anybody else feel like a bagel?

He started walking away from the group.

DAVIS: It would be nice if he could avoid being neurotic for at least a week.

Oh yeah. This should be a real summer of fun.

No comments: