Friday, May 1, 2009

Slice

Hi, my name is Hank.

BILLY: So Eli is the one who's been drugging everyone?
RITCHIE: Who else could it be?
BILLY: But he couldn't have drugged me. I was with Jackson.
ME: Maybe he was lurking around.
RITCHIE: All I know is that the girl at IHOP said she saw him drug Eli. That means he's responsible for Joey's death. That's all I need to know.

We pulled up near Slice and raced inside.

Eli and Nathan were sitting at the bar. Nathan was just about to take a drink when--

RITCHIE: No!

Ritchie swiped the drink out of his hand.

NATHAN: Ritchie, what--

But before he could say anything, Ritchie tackled Eli to the floor.

ELI: What are you doing?
ME: He poisoned Joey!
ELI: WHAT?
BILLY: And he sold me out to the statutory rape police.
ELI: Okay, that I did.
NATHAN: Poisoned Joey? That's insane.
BILLY: A girl at the IHOP saw it.
NATHAN: Sounds like a solid witness.
ELI: What girl at the IHOP?
RITCHIE: Skyler's friend.
VOICE: What about Skyler?

We turned and looked at Davis. He was walking into the club.

BILLY: His friend saw Eli poison Joey.
DAVIS: But that doesn't make any sense.
ELI: Thank you!
NATHAN: Why are you taking Skyler's friend at face value?
RITCHIE: Why would she lie?
DAVIS: Where is Skyler? He was supposed to meet me here with Jeremy.
VOICE: What did we miss?

Ben, Jackson, and Carter--now the gang was all here.

ME: Eli is the Roofier.
CARTER: Damn! I bet it was Nathan.
NATHAN: Hey!
BILLY: What are you all doing here?
DAVIS: We were supposed to celebrate me and Skyler buying Slice.
BEN: Where's Jeremy?
JACKSON: He said he was meeting us here with Skyler.
ELI: Can someone get Ritchie off me?
BEN: I bet he's not the first one to ask that.
DAVIS: Hang on, my phone's ringing.

He answered, and his face went white.

JACKSON: Davis, what's wrong?
DAVIS: Uh...

He put the call on speaker.

SKYLER'S VOICE: Hello CBQ's.
ME: Skyler?
SKYLER: I thought you all should hear this.
BILLY: What's going on?
SKYLER: I see my friend got to you at the IHOP. She's so loyal. Loyalty is important amongst friends. Loyalty and trust. None of which you boys have.
NATHAN: Oh my God.
SKYLER: I can't talk long. I'm heading out of town. Jeremy's sitting right here next to me.
JACKSON: No.
SKYLER: Oh yes. Except this time, his kidnapping isn't a drill. It's the real deal.
DAVIS: What do you want?
SKYLER: Oh, I got what I wanted. I just thought I'd let you boys know you don't have to bother forming a rescue party. Jeremy's going away for good this time.
CARTER: Why did you do all this?
SKYLER: You really don't know, do you?

We all looked at each other. What could possibly have made him cause so much pain and suffering?

ME: Skyler, if you let Jeremy go--
SKYLER: Nothing that comes after that will be true, and we all know it. Sorry about the business venture, Davis. Maybe next time you'll know better than to open a joint account with someone you barely know.
DAVIS: Oh shit.
SKYLER: Time to say good-bye.

There was a muffled sound, and then we heard a whisper.

JEREMY'S VOICE: Guys, he's going to--

And the line went dead.

DAVIS: Skyler is the Roofier.

Silence.

ELI: I told you it wasn't me.

No comments: