Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Poor Choice of Words

Hi, my name is Jeremy.

ME:  Do you ever plan on getting dressed?
BEN:  Why?  Getting sick of looking at me?

If you had told me a year ago that I would looking at Ben lying naked in my bed, I would have asked you who he slept with before I gunned him down thereby fulfilling my darkest fantasies.

Granted, this scenario is a little more pleasant.

BEN:  Why don't you come back to bed?
ME:  Because it's four o'clock in the afternoon.
BEN:  It's a Sunday.  You're supposed to stay in bed on Sundays.
ME:  Yes, but one of us is getting dinner with Davis, and he can smell sex for miles.
BEN:  That's because he's always within miles of a steam room or a brothel.

Ben tried playfully pulling me back into bed, but I resisted--not aggressively so, but enough to kick my self-control into gear.

ME:  We can pick up where we left off later on tonight.

I don't know what made me decide to go back to being with Ben after he committed the worst sin imaginable--sleeping with Davis.

It might have been the whole saving my life thing.  He threw himself in front of me to break my fall, thereby risking his own life.

I mean, I don't weigh that much, but still, that's impressive, right?

BEN:  Why don't we go away this summer?  I don't want to spend it in Providence.  It's a ghost town once Pride is over.
ME:  I was thinking of doing a little business venture this summer.
BEN:  Jeremy, you're a little old for a lemonade stand.
ME:  Actually, I was thinking of producing a show.

That made him sit up in bed.

BEN:  What show?
ME:  Angels in America.
BEN:  You're not serious.
ME:  Murray already feels guilty for not putting me in the musical.  I bet he'd let me use the student theater.  Nobody else does in the summer.  Then all I'd have to do is put up the money for the rights and put up some flats.
BEN:  And I could be Louis!
ME:  Yeah, and I could be Joe.

His smile disappeared.

BEN:  You want to be Joe?
ME:  Yeah.
BEN:  Oh.
ME:  You didn't want to be Joe, did you?  You just said you wanted to be--
BEN:  Louis.  Yeah.  Absolutely.  It's just that...
ME:  What?

He laughed a little.

BEN:  Jeremy, Joe is supposed to be hot.
ME:  Uh...yeah...and?
BEN:  And you're...I mean...
ME:  Are you saying I'm not--attractive?
BEN:  Attractive, yes.  Hot?  No.
ME:  Are you really saying this after we just--
BEN:  Why don't you play Prior?  He doesn't have to be hot.
ME:  That's because HE'S DYING OF AIDS, YOU ASSHOLE!

I kicked him out of my bedroom, and I didn't wait for him to get his clothes.

Thus--

PAIGE:  You might want to try that entrance again, Ben.  From where I'm standing, you're barely a grower.

Jackson and Paige were watching tv in the living room.  Ben tried to hide behind the kitchen counter.

BEN:  Jeremy, let's just talk about this.
ME:  There's nothing to talk about!  You told me I was too ugly to be a Mormon!
JACKSON:  In his defense, Jeremy, have you seen the son on Big Love?  I'd go to jail for that.
PAIGE:  I'd take second wife for that.  I'd Chloe Sevigny myself.

I threw Ben's pants at him and pushed him out the door.

BEN:  Look, we just got back together.  Don't screw it up by getting all upset over something stupid I said.
ME:  It's not that, Ben.  It's not the words.  It's the fact that you believe them.  You might be with me because I'm comfortable or I'm funny or a million other reasons, but you're not with me because you can't keep your hands off me.
BEN:  Uh, did the four hours of sex not counter that theory?
ME:  I'm not going to be your Nathan, Ben.  That's all there is to it.
BEN:  Jeremy--
ME:  Good-bye.

I shut the door.

JACKSON:  Next time wait longer to give him his pants.  I can't get the sketch artist over here for another half an hour.
PAIGE:  That's what camera phones are for, darling.

Jackson smiled at me.

JACKSON:  She's learning.

Aren't we all...

No comments: