Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Roofier

Hi, my name is Eli.

ME:  I know you're here, Skyler.

It was time to put a stop to the Roofier.

SKYLER'S VOICE:  How did you know where to find me?
ME:  Where else would you go?

The theater.  Where I had made a fool out of Joey in Skyler's show.

ME:  Why did you do it?
SKYLER'S VOICE:  Ask Davis.

I went in by myself.  The boys had agreed to stay outside in case Skyler tried to hurt Jeremy.

DAVIS:  Ask me what?

There goes the agreement.

SKYLER'S VOICE:  Don't remember me, do you?
DAVIS:  Should I?

I couldn't tell where Skyler's voice was coming from in the theater.  The entire place was dark.  I was standing in the audience and Davis just walked in right through the double doors.  Carter helped get us in the building--he's had to let himself into all the apartments he's been evicted from in the past.

ME:  Davis, you're right in the light.
DAVIS:  He won't shoot me.  That's not his style.
ME:  Davis--
DAVIS:  What's he going to do?  Pour a drugged drink on my head and hope I swallow some?

That was when the lights came on.

ME:  Oh fuck me.

Jeremy was sitting in a chair, blindfolded and tied up, on a scaffolding two stories up on the stage.  He was right on the edge, and the platform looked shaky.

Davis went running towards the stage, but Skyler called out--

SKYLER'S VOICE:  I wouldn't do that.

There was a noise, and then one of the platforms fell.

ME:  He has them rigged.
DAVIS:  What is this about?
SKYLER'S VOICE:  Let's take a walk down memory lane.

-- FLASHBACK --

SKYLER'S VOICE:  Prisms circa 2006.  I believe you, Jeremy, Ritchie, and Hank were all hanging out enjoying yourselves, when a young guy--new to Providence--approached you at the bar.

YOUNG SKYLER:  Hi, I'm--
DAVIS:  Not interested.
YOUNG SKYLER:  Um, I just wanted to say hi.
RITCHIE:  You said it.  Now you can leave.
JEREMY:  Guys, knock it off.  What's your name?
SKYLER:  I'm--
DAVIS:  Jeremy, if you want charity, go make an AIDS quilt.  I'm going downstairs to find my take-home for the night.
RITCHIE:  I'll come with.
HANK:  Sorry, kid.  Not your night.

--  End of Flashback --

SKYLER'S VOICE:  Jeremy was the only one who stayed and talked to me, but when I tried texting him the next day, he never responded.

Who knew getting rejected at Prisms could turn someone into a psycho?

DAVIS:  That's it?  All this because I didn't want to let you blow me?
SKYLER'S VOICE:  No, Davis.  All this because I don't particularly like gay people.
ME:  But aren't you--
SKYLER'S VOICE:  Yes, Eli.  It's the type of thing that can drive a boy insane.

See what I mean?

DAVIS:  Look, we just want Jeremy.  Then you can run and nobody will go looking for you.
SKYLER'S VOICE:  Sorry, Davis.  I want to make one more lasting impact before I go.

That's when I heard the platform release.  Jeremy came hurtling forward off the chair.

DAVIS:  JEREMY!

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flash of movement.  Before Jeremy could hit the ground, Ben was underneath him.  It wasn't exactly a catch, but Ben did break his fall.

ME:  That was way too close.
DAVIS:  I'm going to find that little prick and bust his head in.
VOICE:  Don't bother.

Ritchie appeared from offstage.

RITCHIE:  He was in the control booth, but there's a door leading into the upstairs hallway.  He's probably long gone by now.

All the CBQ's were in the building now.  They had swarmed around Jeremy.

JACKSON:  Are you okay?
JEREMY:  Yeah, thanks to Ben.
BILLY:  We should call the police.
HANK:  I already did.  They're on their way.
CARTER:  At least this is all over.
NATHAN:  Hardly.  He got away.

Nobody wanted to think about that.  So instead, we helped Jeremy up and made our way out of the theater.

JEREMY:  Wait, before I forget--

He kissed Ben.  I can't say it was the MOST shocking event of the night, but--

JEREMY:  Thanks for saving my life.
BEN:  Anytime.
JEREMY:  Okay, now we can go.

I guess that's a 'To Be Continued...'

No comments: