Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Banquet

Hi, my name is Jackson.

HANK:  Couldn't find a date, I see?

Welcome to the Banquet.

ME:  Actually, I'm going stag.
HANK:  More like going--
NATHAN:  Hank!  We agreed we were all going to get along tonight, remember?
BEN:  It's going to be the last time we're all together for awhile.
RITCHIE:  I don't want to think about it.  It'll make me cry.
JEREMY:  Real tears?
RITCHIE:  Tears aren't sadness, Jeremy.  Empty glasses are sadness.

We all took our seats at the table.  The Banquet was being held in the ritziest hotel in Providence.  I was hoping I could be drunk before the entrees.

BILLY:  Hey guys, sorry I'm late.  Someone had to pick up their date.
HANK:  Couldn't find the right corner, Carter?
CARTER:  Not me.
BILLY:  Actually, not him is right.  I meant my date.

That was when everyone gasped.

ELI:  Bart?
BART:  Miss me?
JEREMY:  Bart is your date?
BILLY:  He just got back into town, and we ran into each other.
BART:  We grabbed coffee, and it was like old times.
HANK:  But you two barely knew each other.
BEN:  So you could show up for the Banquet but not for your ex-boyfriend's funeral?
BART:  Let's not drag the past into this.  If we start putting skeletons on the table, there won't be any room for the food.
BILLY:  Bart, why don't we get something to drink?
BART:  Great idea.

They walked over to the bar.  All eyes went to Jeremy.

JEREMY:  Don't look at me.
NATHAN:  You're just going to let him--
JEREMY:  Billy's a big boy.  He can do whatever he wants.  Besides, Bart's a nice guy.
HANK:  He was a nice guy until he went crazy.
RITCHIE:  Yes, well, having Davis steal your boyfriend from you will do that to a person.
ELI:  He had a weird look in his eye.
BEN:  Carter, how was he on the ride over?
CARTER:  He was okay.  He seems a lot more confident.
JEREMY:  Either way, he's back, and he used to be our friend.
HANK:  I never liked him.
JEREMY:  You never like anybody.
HANK:  True, but with him, it was special.

Soon the meal got under way, and then everybody began to dance.  I took the opportunity to snag a slow dance with Ritchie.

ME:  So do you think Billy and Bart look serious?
RITCHIE:  Billy never gets serious with anyone.
ME:  I'm still concerned.
RITCHIE:  Why?  Do you love him now too?
ME:  No, but my brother still does.
RITCHIE:  What makes you say that?
ME:  A twin knows, trust me.
RITCHIE:  So?
ME:  I want to help him.  I want to snag his dream boy for him.
RITCHIE:  Jackson, this is not something you want to get involved in, trust me.
ME:  It's not like it would be that hard.  They'd be great together.
RITCHIE:  I'm telling you--Leave it alone.

Just then, there was a crash.  We all turned and looked at the door.

RITCHIE:  Oh my God.

Bart wasn't the only one who decided to show up tonight.

CAL:  Let me guess?  My invitation got lost in the mail?

Cal had made his entrance--with blood all over him--and promptly collapsed.

ME:  I'll get the car running.  You get the Queens.
RITCHIE:  You got it.

Now we were going to get some answers.

No comments: