Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Good Samaritan

Hi, my name is Cal.

RITCHIE: Ben says he doesn't remember anything.

I'm debating whether or not to be a Good Samaritan.

It's Monday morning, and the Fish Bowl is buzzing about Ben's accident and the fact that he seems to have developed a mild case of amnesia.

Up until now, I've kept my mouth shut about what I saw, because I'd rather avoid the question of why I didn't stop to help Ben when I saw him get hit by the car.

ME: Oh! Because this old, gross guy who buys me things had slipped something into my drink and I was kind of out of it.

Yeah, I don't think so.

Ritchie was relaying everything Jeremy had told him after seeing Ben in the hospital.

ELI: So Ben never ended up going home that night?
RITCHIE: Nope.
ELI: Oh...That's...okay.
HANK: Why do you want to know?
ELI: Just curious, okay? JC-Seriously.
ME: Huh?
ELI: JC-Seriously--it's new lingo. Get with it.
ME: I'd rather get to class.
RITCHIE: I'll join you.

We were walking outside when a car came barreling down the road, almost taking out Ritchie.

RITCHIE: Whoa! Watch where you're going!

It was the car.
The car that ran down Ben.

I started running.

RITCHIE: Cal, where are you--
ME: Sorry. I'm running really late!

The car made a right turn into the parking lot behind the Psych. building. I followed it and managed to catch my breath just as it took the last spot.

I made my way up to the car just as the driver was getting out.

ME: Oh great.
CARTER: Hey Cal--

It was Carter.

CARTER: --What's up?

Well, why not lay all the cards out on the table.

ME: You did it.
CARTER: Huh?
ME: You're the one who hit Ben and took off.
CARTER: What are you--?
ME: Don't lie to me, Carter. I saw you.
CARTER: Cal, just listen--
ME: No. No chance. I wasn't going to say anything, but you know what? Look at you. You're still riding around like nothing's happened. Like you got away with it. Well, guess what? You didn't get away with anything. I'm bringing you down.

And I walked away from him.

As for why I didn't stick around to help Ben...

That's a question I doubt anyone will bring up. After all, they'll be so grateful I decided to help, what'll it matter that I waited a day or so to do it?

No comments: