Monday, March 17, 2008

The Crime

Hi, my name is Carter.

JEREMY: Just say what happened.

I'm a criminal.

I was walking to my car when I saw Joey sitting on the sidewalk. Everyone tried to get me to go with the ambulance from the club, but I didn't feel like it. I didn't feel like doing much of anything except going home.

ME: Hey Joey, you okay?
JOEY: Yeah, I just jumped out of a moving car.
ME: Oh.
JOEY: What about you?
ME: I fell down the stairs at the club.
JOEY: Wow, we're like stuntmen.

I laughed, but it hurt, so I stopped.

ME: Do you need a ride home?
JOEY: Are you okay to drive?
ME: Yeah, I should be cool.
JOEY: Good, because I'm totally not.

So we got into my car and I started driving. Then before I knew it, I was going fast and everything was a blur. I didn't even think to stop until I heard Joey yell--

JOEY: Carter, watch out!

Then I felt it.

I hit something.

And Joey yelled again--

JOEY: Go!
ME: What?
JOEY: Don't stay here! We're both drunk. Go!

So I went, and I didn't look back.

JEREMY: So you hit Ben.

We were all at Davis' apartment. Jeremy, Davis, Joey, and me. We were trying to figure out what to do now that Cal knew it was me who did it. The only reason anyone else cared was because Joey was in the car and he was the one who told me to take off so he could get in trouble, too.

ME: We shouldn't have left him.
JOEY: We didn't have a choice.
DAVIS: So nobody else saw you guys hit him?
ME: Nobody else has said anything.
DAVIS: So we just need to shut Cal up.
JEREMY: Davis--
DAVIS: Look, it's a victimless crime.
JEREMY: How do you figure? Ben's lying in the hospital!
DAVIS: Oh right, everybody's favorite person.
JEREMY: That's not the point.
JOEY: You said Ben is going to be okay.
JEREMY: The police are looking for you guys!
CARTER: I should turn myself in.
DAVIS and JOEY: No!

There was a knock on the door.

JEREMY: Who's that?
DAVIS: Cal.
ALL: WHAT?
DAVIS: I believe in dealing with problems head-on.

Davis went to the door, and sure enough, Cal walked back in with him.

CAL: Well, if it isn't Mr. Hit-and-Run.
DAVIS: Cal, we haven't been introduced. I'm--
CAL: I know who you are. Now do you mind telling me why I'm here?
DAVIS: Apparently, you think you saw Carter here hit Ben with his car.
CAL: I don't think I saw anything. I know what I saw.
DAVIS: Really? That's funny. Because a few of my friends told me when you stumbled out of Bowie's you were practically unconscious--
CAL: That's--
DAVIS: And on the arm of a man old enough to have founded your family. A man known for being very generous when he wants something.
CAL: I don't like where this is going.
DAVIS: You don't have to like it. You just have to keep your mouth shut. Ben's just fine, and there's no reason anybody has to get into trouble. Don't you agree?
CAL: Actually, I don't.
DAVIS: Then maybe you'd like it known throughout Providence that you offer your services for money.
CAL: I could care less what people think.
DAVIS: Oh really? How'd you like the cover at every club you try going into to rise about fifteen dollars? And do you enjoy being served at all the bars with briskness and non-watered down drinks? Do you ever plan on getting laid with someone who doesn't remember the first World War?
CAL: You can't make all that happen.
JEREMY: Oh yes, he can.
DAVIS: You're going to stay quiet, or you're going to disappear.

Cal knew he was beat.

CAL: You're doing all this to protect Carter?

Then he looked over at Jeremy and Joey.

CAL: Or are you protecting someone else?

Davis put his hand on Cal's shoulder.

DAVIS: You can leave now, thanks.

And with that, he showed him to the door.

DAVIS: You'll be fine now, Carter. Go home.
ME: You really don't think he'll talk?
DAVIS: Even if he does, nobody will believe him. I'm going to start discrediting him by tomorrow.
JEREMY: Davis, you didn't--
DAVIS: It's what has to be done, Jeremy.

Jeremy grabbed his coat.

JEREMY: Fine, but remember something--

He looked over at Joey.

JEREMY: --There are some people that aren't worth protecting.

Then he walked out and slammed the door behind him.

DAVIS: Do you see what all this cost, Carter?
ME: Yes.
DAVIS: Then I hope you appreciate it.

I did, but there was another part of me that still felt guilty. A part that wasn't sure I wouldn't say anything to Ben about what I had done.

How do you do something like that to the person you love and not beg for their forgiveness?

I guess I would have to figure that out on my own time.

No comments: