Monday, March 3, 2008

Don't Follow in My Footsteps

Hi, my name is Billy.

ME: Hey Nathan, wait up--

I'm not letting this guy get away.

Nathan was walking back to his car after a disastrous night at the club. Ben had pretty much told all of us that he hates us, Nathan had gone after him but couldn't find him, and Cal had taken off to go hang out with some old guy at Bowie's.

I didn't want to let Nathan walk alone, but moreso than that, I didn't want Nathan to forget what Ben did tonight.

NATHAN: I know what you're going to say, Billy.
ME: That you shouldn't be walking through the streets of Providence at 2am by yourself?
NATHAN: Oh...no.
ME: And by the way, Ben is a dicktrick.
NATHAN: That's the one I was waiting for.
ME: You can do better, Nathan.

He stopped and turned towards me.

NATHAN: Look, I know you and Ben have a history--
ME: History happened a long time ago. He fucked me over rather recently.
NATHAN: I like him, Billy, okay? And I mean, I like you too, and I want us to be friends, but you can't just keep bashing him.
ME: Why do you like him?
NATHAN: Why did you like him?
ME: Because I was on drugs.
NATHAN: Really?
ME: No, but I should have been.

Nathan laughed, and then gave me a hug. I would have preferred that he stabbed me. The hug was so condascending.

NATHAN: My car's right over there. I can give you a lift to yours.
ME: No, that's fine.
NATHAN: What about not walking around at--
ME: Please, it's Providence. It's more dangerous walking past a cornfield at night.

He laughed again, and then seemed to debate whether or not to say something. Finally, he spit it out.

NATHAN: It is weird that I like that he's kind of an asshole?
ME: God, do we ever really leave junior high?
NATHAN: Probably not.
ME: Maybe we won't till we get it right.
NATHAN: Maybe. Goodnight, Billy.
ME: Nite Nathan.

He started to walk away, and when he was just out of earshot I murmured--

ME: By the way, I think I might love you.

Nathan's car pulled away and I started walking back towards mine.

That was when I saw Ben, and the car coming right at him...

No comments: