Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mutual Assured Destruction

Hi, my name is Joey.

ME: I want you to change your book.

I've been exposed.

DAVIS: Joey, I'm not sure you understand how books work.

Then again, so has everyone else in town.

I went to Davis' apartment to beg him to change the embarrassing parts of the book--at least the ones that involve me having threeways and being a slut.

DAVIS: So you want me to lie?
ME: Davis, all that stuff was private!
DAVIS: That's why it's on the bestseller list, Joey.
ME: Print a retraction!
DAVIS: It's a book! Not a blog!

I flipped over his coffee table.

It's the most violent thing I've ever done.

ME: Davis, if you don't fix this, I'll--
DAVIS: You'll what? Set my club on fire?

. . . . .

DAVIS: Hank saw you going into the boiler room before Ritchie's club exploded.
ME: He, uh...
DAVIS: See? I left out the best part of the book. I'd consider myself lucky if I were you.
ME: We meant so much to each other.
DAVIS: And now you're bopping a dwarf. Sorry if I don't feel there's any loyalty there.
ME: You can't say anything.
DAVIS: Consider it mutual assured destruction. My book stays the way it is printing after printing, and you're not exposed as being a murderer.
ME: A--
DAVIS: Carter, remember? That would be on you.

I didn't know what to say, so I turned around and walked out.

But in my head, I knew what I had to do.

Davis has to go.

No comments: