Friday, April 9, 2010

The Man Behind the Curtain

Hi, my name is Ritchie.

DAVIS: Hello Wilde.

Uh oh.

DAVIS: --Or should I call you Wilde Jr.?

I knew I was in trouble when I showed up at my apartment, and the door was wide open.

Davis must have found my spare key.

DAVIS: I didn't find your spare key.
ME: Okay, that's creepy.
DAVIS: Joey let me in.
ME: Since when are you two friends again?
DAVIS: I wouldn't say 'friends'--

He was standing in my room with my laptop open on my desk.

And there I was, logged into the Wilde Blog as an administrator.

DAVIS: So you've been the one promoting me as the Most Hated Guy in Providence.
ME: You haven't exactly been helping your case. Closing Prisms, ruining Billy's wedding--
DAVIS: Maybe next time he'll invite me.
ME: By the way, you owe me for the hospital bill. My eye was swollen for two days.
DAVIS: Was that why the blog didn't get updated?

Davis must not know that Paige was the other blogger. She said Jeremy and Jackson found her out, but she's been keeping my identity a secret so that she could still filter stories through me until she could figure out what to do about her brothers.

So I was going to have to deal with Davis on my own.

ME: All right, Davis, what do you want to keep your mouth shut?
DAVIS: A retraction.
ME: Are you kidding? You can't expect me to try and build you back up again after everything you've done.
DAVIS: Oh, but you will, Ritchie. If you don't, I expose you as the guy behind Wilde, and that spotlight will jump right off me and onto you.

This was a disaster.

ME: What do you want me to say?
DAVIS: Say whatever you want, just make sure it's said with a smile. Oh, and I want at least one negative story posted about you a week.
ME: You want me to post negative stories about MYSELF?
DAVIS: Let's hope your own medicine tastes better than other parts of you do. Ta ta, Kit Kat.

He walked past me and out of the apartment.

Well, it looks like I have to resurrect Davis' reputation.

Impossible.

...But you know...

People are always sympathetic to those who've suffered a great tragedy...

No comments: